• Is this a Norfolk Southern caboose?

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.

by nsrayman

no , its an Erie Lackawanna caboose.

by U-Haul

Erie Lackawanna ceased to exist on March 31st 1976 and that photo is June 13th 2006.
Last edited by U-Haul on Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by scottychaos

Published July 21, 2006 05:22 pm -

Vintage caboose finds new home in Meadville (PA)

A former Erie-Lackawanna Railroad caboose is now on public display in Meadville.

It took less than 3 1/2 hours this morning to disassemble the nearly 50,000-pound caboose from its wheels, transport it about a half-mile by flatbed truck and reassemble it on a special siding located off the French Creek Parkway between Mercer and Linden streets.

Work began around 7:30 a.m. and was completed before 11 a.m.

The former Erie-Lackawanna Railroad caboose — No. C356 — is on loan to the French Creek Valley Railroad Historical Society from the Erie-Lackawanna Historical Society.

http://www.meadvilletribune.com/breakin ... 72229.html

Scot

by GN 599

Thats a sharp looking caboose. So its on static display now?

by nsrayman

[quote="U-Haul"]Erie Lackawana ceased to exist on March 31st 1976 quote]

it did ?

by Luther Brefo

Does NS even have cabeese? I dont think I have ever seen an NS caboose.

by Luther Brefo

Cool.

by Rockin' Roller

I think it was in Cleveland a couple of weeks ago where I saw a caboose still in use on the NS. It was an old Conrail caboose that they use because they back trains up a long distance and they don't want the conductors to have to walk all that distance to protect the rear of the train.

by NSPeon

All Norfolk Southern Cabooses are former N&W or CR.

NS didnt come about until when the phasing out of cabs came about, at least is my understanding.

They still use them on some locals and in yards, at least around here they do......

by HEMI_HARVESTER

NSPeon wrote:All Norfolk Southern Cabooses are former N&W or CR.

NS didnt come about until when the phasing out of cabs came about, at least is my understanding.

They still use them on some locals and in yards, at least around here they do......
Yes they sometimes use them on locals, yard jobs or transfers.
They will also use them with a remote engine so the operator has a place to ride.
When they use them with a remote they call them "shoving platforms"

I have seen a couple "shoving platforms that are rebuilt and painted Maroon.

there is also one that some times runs with the geometry car I think its NS 31 ? maybe.

by lvrr325

Former CR = some PC and Reading cabooses still in service, not as sure on the EL cars because the D&H cherrypicked most of the newest EL cabooses in '76. Believe all NYC, PRR, LV, CNJ cars off the class-1 rosters.