Railroad Forums 

• IS there a #1??

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#181999  by Engineer James

I have one question. There has been some word out that CSX Does not have a #1 numbered locomotive. Is this true?? Or if so what is it? Also there is some question to the number of Road and yard slugs. How many are there?? Any "B" Units owned by CSX?? Possibile rebuilds from A units to B Units after a crash??

#182024  by octr202

Robert Paniagua wrote:Probably not, if you meant "0001", I don't think there's a unit nubmer 1. Although Amtrak has a "1", a P42DC.
CSXT #1

CSXT doesn't have any true B-Units, but over the years there have been older units that have had cab equipment removed and downgraded to "trailing unit only."

There's about 150 road slugs (the RDMT's converted from old GP30s and GP35s). They're in the 2200-2350 number range.

#182055  by ACLfan

Yes, CSX does have a locomotive that is carrying the # "1".

CSX # 1 is a 4,380 hp General Electric AC4400CW locomotive, and has been officially named the "Spirit of West Virginia", with the script lettering on each side of its cab.

This numbering series of CSX's AC4400CW locomotives runs from #1 to #599.

#600 is the lowest # for the AC6000CW locomotive series.

ACLfan
 #182098  by CSX Conductor

Engineer James wrote:I have one question. There has been some word out that CSX Does not have a #1 numbered locomotive. Is this true??
Obviously you haven't seen many CSXT literature, LOL. It seems like almost every poster is a shot of #1. I haven't seen it personally, the lowest I ever had on a train was the #7 (Trailing unit because no cab signals), but I did see #2 in Selkirk last year.

There are at least three slugs assigned to the Hump @ Selkirk, NY. (One of which is the #1010, which isn't on the roster listed on CSXT Photo Archives web-site.
 #182130  by octr202

CSX Conductor wrote:
Engineer James wrote:I have one question. There has been some word out that CSX Does not have a #1 numbered locomotive. Is this true??
Obviously you haven't seen many CSXT literature, LOL. It seems like almost every poster is a shot of #1. I haven't seen it personally, the lowest I ever had on a train was the #7 (Trailing unit because no cab signals), but I did see #2 in Selkirk last year.

There are at least three slugs assigned to the Hump @ Selkirk, NY. (One of which is the #1010, which isn't on the roster listed on CSXT Photo Archives web-site.
CSX C,

Those are all ex-CR slugs, right? I don't recall pre-merger CSXT having any that I can think of like that...

#182145  by CSX Conductor

I believe that you're correct, but not 100% sure. I remember the 1010 being in a faded Con-Rail scheme a couple years ago. Now all that I have seen except one are in the Dark Future scheme.

#183121  by Engineer James

Well, ok... thats nice... What about MP15AC Trailers. How many? And does anybody knw if they use them for Northern Freights? As a traction unit??

#183132  by octr202

Engineer James wrote:Well, ok... thats nice... What about MP15AC Trailers. How many? And does anybody knw if they use them for Northern Freights? As a traction unit??
MP15 Trailers? Are you thinking of the MP15T?

#183216  by ACLfan

MP15AC locomotives are EMD yard switchers.

Not sure what you mean by the term "trailers", since the MP15AC yard switchers are usually operated as single units.

ACLfan
 #183256  by AmtrakFan

CSX Conductor wrote:
It seems like one is never in Chicago either on the BNSF Grain Trains CSX Runs or Coal closets I ever got to was 81.

#184030  by Engineer James

I never knew that MP15AC's worked alone. I got a chance to see #1170 at one of the Local yards on the toldeo sub, switching cars for NS Junction at Wayne Yard, was pushing some Older-looking auto-racks.... are these former Conrail's??

#184051  by octr202

Engineer James wrote:I never knew that MP15AC's worked alone. I got a chance to see #1170 at one of the Local yards on the toldeo sub, switching cars for NS Junction at Wayne Yard, was pushing some Older-looking auto-racks.... are these former Conrail's??
The MP 15's (CSXT has MP15DC's, MP15AC's, and MP15T's) are all former Seaboard System/Family Lines (Seaboard Coast Line and Louisville & Nashville) units. I don't know about now, but in the 90's (pre-CR merger) the MP's were everywhere in Florida, especially around Jacksonville, on yard jobs, transfers, etc. I don't know how far they've spread since then.

I'm not very certain, but I don't think that Conrail had any MP15's. They had a number of SW1500's and the old Reading SW1001's, but these are almost all retired on CSXT by now.

#184256  by Jayjay1213

One of the MP15's has made it all the way to Oak Point yard in the Bronx, NY.