Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#254829  by Love Train

I was looking on another transit board called SubChat and I saw a thread about the C train being eliminated for work on the World Trade Center station.

Is this true? And what's going to happen to other lines such as the A and E if this is in fact true?

#255356  by Phil Hom

Service on the C line will end, however other services on the 8th Ave (dark blue trunk line) corridor will continue. The WTC terminal is where the C service ends. The Chamber Street side of the station is still a thru station.

#255396  by Majinvegeta

So then what would run on the local between jay street and euclid ave? O.O;

*Prays it isnt Lefferts Blvd A Train lines*

#255430  by Love Train

Phil Hom wrote:Service on the C line will end, however other services on the 8th Ave (dark blue trunk line) corridor will continue. The WTC terminal is where the C service ends. The Chamber Street side of the station is still a thru station.
When? And when will we find out?

#256024  by jersey_emt

The E has its terminus at WTC, not the C. And the E splits off from the A & C in midtown...A & C continue uptown, E turns crosstown.

#256229  by arrow

jersey_emt wrote:The E has its terminus at WTC, not the C. And the E splits off from the A & C in midtown...A & C continue uptown, E turns crosstown.
That's correct, and is the reason why I don't understand why the C would be affected by any of this?? If this is true (I hadn't heard anything about it), what will happen to the A express service. I can't imagine the A turning local - it would take several hours to ride the line in its entirety if that were the case. Maybe this C suspension is only during the weekends?

#256449  by braves

When will the C train be out & what service changes are in store when the C train is out.

#256626  by Love Train

arrow wrote:
jersey_emt wrote:The E has its terminus at WTC, not the C. And the E splits off from the A & C in midtown...A & C continue uptown, E turns crosstown.
That's correct, and is the reason why I don't understand why the C would be affected by any of this?? If this is true (I hadn't heard anything about it), what will happen to the A express service. I can't imagine the A turning local - it would take several hours to ride the line in its entirety if that were the case. Maybe this C suspension is only during the weekends?
Since the WTC E station will be closed most or all of the time, the E train will have to do something else. If the E train runs on the A/C past WTC, the C will probably be gone.

Course, I think they should just turn the E at Penn Station (express tracks, relay south of station) and run the A local between 59 and Canal Sts. But that's just me.

#256830  by arrow

Love train, I'm not following you. If the WTC station is closed, they could stop the E further up (similar to the 1 on weekends). The E and the C separate above 42nd St so you can't just stop one and assume the other will take its place.

#258834  by Robert Paniagua

I can't imagine the A turning local - it would take several hours to ride the line in its entirety if that were the case. Maybe this C suspension is only during the weekends?

I know, me neither. Maybe they should use two A trains, the one going to Lefferts Blvd going local, while the A going to Far Rockaway should be express thru Brooklyn.

#258838  by Love Train

Robert Paniagua wrote:Maybe they should use two A trains, the one going to Lefferts Blvd going local...

That would (should) be the C train!!!! Or perhaps the E, with no C service.

#258839  by Love Train

arrow wrote:
That's correct, and is the reason why I don't understand why the C would be affected by any of this??
Think about it. If the WTC E station is closed, the E train is going to have to go somewhere ELSE (i.e. through the Cranberry St tunnel). Imagine the A, C, AND E all running through the Cranberry St tunnel at one time. That would be a nightmare. So they will get rid of the C train.

But they SHOULD just keep the C and turn the E train at Penn Station IMO.

#262705  by drewh

Too much work to turn at Penn during rush. It would slow everything down. Though, isnt there a lower level of 42nd that they could do that??

Makes sense to send the E to Euclid and then run the A local from 59 to 125. There's still the D express there so no real loss of service. A train will still be express everywhere else. E train will be local from 50th to Euclid.

#262796  by Love Train

Well, then, they should keep A and C service normal and terminate the E at Canal St. MAYBE they can run the E express for relayng purposes. There is a relay track on the A/C line just south of Canal St station.

#262868  by Bay Head Local

More then likely the E will be extended to Euclid Ave to replace the C with equipment from the C providing the extra trains, on weekends, I hate to break it to ya, but the A will probaly be the only line serving Fulton St with no express service and the E will probaly relay at Canal St