Railroad Forums 

• Is Guilford still serving West Cambridge?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#31841  by NellsChoo

Does anyone know if Guilford is still serving West Cambridge? Untill last week, there was boxcar activity by the W Cambridge yards by the lumber companies. Now I see a sign stating one lumber co-op has relocated to Iron Horse Park!! Does this mean I lost my chance to see Guilford working so close to home?? Does this mean they are now bringing lumber to Billerica?? WHAT'S UP??

Oh, and what is the status of Newly Weds? Have I lost my chance to witness that action as well?

Jonelle

#32243  by mick

The Lumber COOP
Last edited by mick on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #32260  by NellsChoo

Oh RATS!! So I did indeed loose my one chance to spot Guilford on the Fitchburg!! NOT FAIR!

What is the setup in Billerica? I didn't think those tracks were used. I have only been in the area twice, and the last time a Guilford cop was following us in his car. The whole place looked deserted. Is it worth driving there some weekend to see what the co-op has for sidings and stuff? Wouldn't Guilford have to go over the T trackage still?

INFO INFO!! I CRAVE INFO!! :wink:

Jonelle

#32648  by cpf354

I would guess Billerica is served at Iron Horse Park on the track that comes off the NH Route at Shop interlocking? That's south of the N. Billerica commuter rail station.
There still is one active cunstomer on the Fitchburg, Veryfine, in Littleton, that takes loaded tank cars of corn sweetener. That would be around MP 31, 3 miles east of the Willows.

#32678  by NellsChoo

Ah yes, Veryfine. I forgot about them. But as of Tuesday there were still a few covered hoppers parked on a siding at West Cambridge. I am sure I'll miss if/when Guilford comes to take them away...

#32892  by mick

There is more
Last edited by mick on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

#33228  by cpf354

I heard BO-1 made a trip to Ayer with East Deerfields on June 26th, so I wonder if there's a slight chance that whatever empties get pulled out of Newlyweds or West Cambridge will get hauled west rather than back to Boston. Does require the BO-1 power to return light for 36 miles, which is a very un-Guilford way of doing things :wink:
 #33234  by GP40MC1118

BO-1 took those empties to Ayer because some of the COOP Lumber cars have Plate F height restrictions between W.Cambridge to Somerville. In other words, they had to go to Ayer.

BO-1 will service Newlywed from Somerville as needed - probably once a week. There are currently no loads for them here in Somerville that I can see.

D

#33549  by cpf354

Well that Plate F restriction must be one reason Guilford would probably dearly love for Newlyweds to get off the Watertown I.T. or just get out from requiring service :( Any Plate F's are going to require probably a full day round trip from Ayer for the local. I would think Guilford would prefer their customers, especially in the Boston area, locate or be as close to the Freight Main Line as possible. One example is Catina-Spagna, a longtime customer in Somerville, that relocated to the New England Industrial Park in Ayer.
So I guess there still is hope that some cars will find their way through Belmont, Concord, and South Acton. :D

#33614  by NellsChoo

OK kids, I am confused. What little I have heard about Somerville is that the whole setup was abandoned. Lately, though, I keep hearing otherwise. What goes on at Somerville, and is this where BO-1 works out of? I didn't think Guilford went into Boston. How else could they get from Watertown to Ayer? Etc etc...

I'm confused.... help?

Jonelle

West Cambridge - end of an era or not?

#33765  by mick

Guilford did not pull out of Boston
Last edited by mick on Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

#33973  by TPR37777

Sometimes I take a ride down to Inner Belt road and close my eyes, imagining what it must have been like at the turn of the last century. I get the same feeling when I look at the crumbling mills in Lowell, sensing with awe the magnificence of what once was. But alas, time flows onward.....

#33977  by Ron Newman

Did you know that McLean Hospital (then called McLean Asylum) started in what is now the Inner Belt Road area? It used to be a bucolic hill, but eventually it got surrounded by railroads, which ended the hospital's peace and quiet. They moved to Belmont and the hill was levelled.

#34119  by cpf354

When the Freight Cutoff was sacrificed for the Red Line Extension to Alewife in the 70's that seemed to coincide with the demise of Mystic, even though the New Hampshire Route was re-habbed to be the freight route in and out of Boston, via Lowell and the Stony Brook to Ayer. It was only an extra 6 miles I think, but somehow things were never the same.
I remember the freights from East Deerfield and Mechanicville working the West Cambridge yard when it was where the engine facility is now, off the the Freight Cutoff.
 #34133  by rb

Hi, folks.

I'll be moving to Somerville Sunday. If anyone has news of movement on the Watertown, let me know! I biked over there as often as I could when I was going to Tufts and never caught one movement on film. Now that the branch is more in danger of abandonment than ever before, I'd love to get some shots.

Rob