Railroad Forums 

• Is Carstens still publishing?

• Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.
Discussion related to railroads/trains that show up in TV shows, commercials, movies, literature (books, poems and more), songs, the Internet, and more... Also includes discussion of well-known figures in the railroad industry or the rail enthusiast hobby.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#1286529  by RAS

Print Subscribers received the June RMC in the mail in early August, three months late on the normal publishing schedule.

I haven't heard of anyone seeing a print copy of June Railfan & Railroad or Flying Models.

Does anyone have any up to date news on Carstens Publications? Are they still publishing?
 #1288666  by Dick H

Unconfirmed report in the All Aboard Yahoo Group that Railroad Model Craftsman
and Railfan and Railroad are shutting down August 22nd.
 #1288780  by ladder2

According to their just updated website Aug 21, at 3PM they are looking for somebody to buy them out. They have not published Railfan and Railroad since May 2014. They are asking for time to continue operations but it sounds like a futile plea.
 #1288847  by Aa3rt

I went to the website and could find nothing regarding the topic of ceasing publication or looking for a buyer. Could you elaborate as to where you saw this?

http://carstens-publications.com/

EDIT: The announcement is not on the Carstens webpage but on the Facebook page. Here's the announcement: "Carstens Publications has announced that negotiations are taking place with several companies regarding the future publishing of Railfan & Railroad, Railroad Model Craftsman, and Flying Models magazines. All involved ask for your patience at this time."
 #1288876  by ladder2

Also available at http://railfan.com/railnews/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; for the oficial announcement from Carstens. It does not look good for future publication
of Railfan and Railroad. Question I have, they had me send 37.50 back in April to extend my subscription to late 2016, if they go under do I get anything back? Or am I considered an unsecured creditor??
 #1288893  by century430

There are some of us that have had feature stories in the magazine and have been waiting YEARS to be paid for them as we had been promised. The Editors always did their best to ameliorate the situation as it was out of their hands and could sympathize with how we felt, but I know several who said they would never do any work for them again. Hopefully anyone who had material in their office gets it returned.

Let's hope that another publisher picks up the magazine.

Jim Rowland
 #1288904  by charlie6017

century430 wrote:There are some of us that have had feature stories in the magazine and have been waiting YEARS to be paid for them as we had been promised. The Editors always did their best to ameliorate the situation as it was out of their hands and could sympathize with how we felt, but I know several who said they would never do any work for them again. Hopefully anyone who had material in their office gets it returned.

Let's hope that another publisher picks up the magazine.

Jim Rowland
That's unfortunate for those who have money tied-up in subscriptions as well as materials, as Jim just said. I hope
things work out for Railfan. I enjoy their magazine much more than I do "Trains Magazine", because I feel it's geared
far more toward enthusiasts than the industry itself.

Maybe "White River Productions" can pick them up.......I see that The Railroad Press and White River are working together nowadays.

Charlie
 #1288933  by RAS

Bill Schaumburg, who I would consider to be an unquestionably reliable source, posted on another discussion group a confirmation that today, August 22, was their last day.

RAS
 #1288942  by Backshophoss

White River Productions has a pretty full plate already,if they pick up RMC,figure on a "merged" mag
with Model Railroad News,and R+R "merged" into what was "CTC Board"
 #1289189  by charding

Yep, here is their announcement - a real shame - but it's all about economics.

"Carstens Publications
August 22nd, 2014
It is with regret that Carstens Publicatons, Inc. will be closing permanently at close of business on Friday, August 22, 2014. Carstens Publications, Inc. has been a leading publisher of leading hobby magazines for over 50 years. Unfortunately the current economic climate has placed us in this position. Discussion is continuing with several parties who expressed desire to take on the continuance of the magazines. At this point there is still hope that all three titles will remain in existence. But I can offer no guarantees. We thank you for your patronage over the years, and wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

—Henry R. Carstens, President
Carstens Publications, Inc.
 #1290632  by charding

…got the June issue of Railfan today...assuming that this is Carstens' final copy…glad to see that this publication will continue to be published...
 #1290943  by Otto Vondrak

charding wrote:…got the June issue of Railfan today...assuming that this is Carstens' final copy…glad to see that this publication will continue to be published...
If you're holding the June issue of Railfan & Railroad, then you are indeed holding the last issue produceed by Carstens Publications. The next issues will be produced under the White River Productions banner, and I will continue to work with Steve Barry on future issues. Thanks everyone for your patience while we get everything up and running.

-otto-
 #1298140  by charding

Just got the July-October 2014 Railfan & Railroad magazine - first published by White River Productions. Look like a bridge issue. Onward & upward.