Railroad Forums 

• Is Amtrak Safe

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#69942  by RVRR Resurrected

and what are they doing to make sure some islamic terrorists dont place a few book bags of explosives on it?

Seems pretty vulnerable.
 #69967  by sullivan1985

RVRR Resurrected wrote:and what are they doing to make sure some islamic terrorists dont place a few book bags of explosives on it?

Seems pretty vulnerable.
This really belongs in the Amtrak fourm...

Is anything really "safe" anymore? The word safe doesn't really have a meaning anymore and is entirly over-used. But I'm sure Amtrak, along with every other railroad in the country is doing its best with what it has available to itself to keep its trains, stations and tracks "safe".

#69980  by tahawus84

Is driving on the turnpike safe?

#70093  by carajul

Nothing is really "safe", never has been. Let's face it, if someone wanted to put a bomb in a bookbag and carry it on the Amtrak train what would stop them? Nothing that is in place now. It would be like a Madrid-style bombing. Ride the train yourself and see how many hundreds of bags are on board. The one way it would be much safer is if the trains had bomb sniffing dogs on board as well as having all passengers test their bags before boarding. All the Amtrak tickets I ever bought say something about producing photo ID, but I've never once been asked for ID anytime I rode.

What can be done now it to educate conductors to look out for mischeif behavoir. Passengers should look for this too. Remember how they caught the shoe bomber on the AA plane? It was keen eyed passengers and a stewardess who saw the guy acting suspicious playing with his shoes and a lighter.

I flew just after the 9/11 tradgedies and let me tell you, everyone on that plane was on pins and needles. Anytime someone would get up to go to the can, everyone on board would watch them like a hawk just to make sure they were innocently making their way to the toilet. People should always be that vigillant, it would help stop bombings and stuff.

#70485  by Otto Vondrak

This is an Amtrak topic, and belongs in that forum. It's also a pretty broad, general question... not really part of a railfan discussion, is it?

-otto-