Railroad Forums 

• Irving/PAR/CSX Traffic

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1021848  by gokeefe

roberttosh wrote:It was a test load and believe it went to a warehouse in the Boston area.
Interesting. Hopefully it was successful and PAR will build up some incremental traffic from that mill.
 #1022540  by CPF363

Would CP be interested in moving any traffic over this routing the the D&H instead of going through Montreal via MM&A? Do they still have any CP customers in Maine or New Brunswick?
 #1022555  by fogg1703

The only true CP traffic into/out of New Brunswick that I know of is a GM contract for new vehicle shipments (not sure what brand) into St John. Occasionally you will see these autoracks on MMA/NBSR. While I'm not sure how much CP gets off of MMA in Montreal to begin with, if the Moosehead ever was to go the way of the Dodo, I suppose they would have no choice.
 #1026792  by Highball

fogg1703 wrote:The only true CP traffic into/out of New Brunswick that I know of is a GM contract for new vehicle shipments (not sure what brand) into St John. Occasionally you will see these autoracks on MMA/NBSR.
I'm quite sure the present Auto Traffic destined for St. John, N.B., are Chrysler products. Actually, Autoracks can be very dominant with NBSR consists and the newest traffic rumour with NBSR is they will also be contracting to transport Volkswagons.
 #1026835  by carchecker

You are correct Highball the contract is with Chrysler. They are also transporting Kia products. Sometimes the occasional train can have as many as 30-40 autoracks on it.
 #1026916  by fogg1703

Thanks for the correction, should have checked my notes before posting. How does customs inspect autoracks? The Sunbury TOFC traffic supposedly was doomed because of customs issues, and I would think there is a lot more chances for issues with an autorack than a flatcar with a sealed trailer on it. Granted TOFC's are much more time sensitive than an autorack but if an all Canadian routing alleviates a half day transit time, a future routing change could happen.

Also how far east do clearances allow autoracks on PAR/S?
 #1026966  by Highball

fogg1703 wrote: The Sunbury TOFC traffic supposedly was doomed because of customs issues, and I would think there is a lot more chances for issues with an autorack than a flatcar with a sealed trailer on it.
New regulations as set forth by the U.S Food & Drug Administration were the prime reason the Sunbury TOFC trains ended in 2006. The main customer for these trains was WalMart merchandise destined for St. John N.B., to be distributed from there by highway to locations in the Maritimes. A variety of food related items made up the majority of the WalMart traffic and that was the source of contention.

Suffice to say, the Food & Drug regs outlined new procedures, document reporting, inspections etc. for all food types crossing into the U.S. It's 201 rail miles between the Quebec / Maine border to the New Brunswick / Maine border. Irving's stance basically was that sealed trailers were merely passing thru Maine, no trailers were being offloaded. Ultimately, the sticking point was " prior notice " of food shipments and the associated paperwork involved.

That's in a nutshell.......too bad really, as the TOFC trains started in the fall of 2003 and at the peak, were generating on average 250 loads per week, from sources I've read.
 #1027114  by fogg1703

Too bad indeed. Did any of this WalMart traffic get re-routed "over the top" on CN? The Moosehead beer cars on SJWA must also go through this paperwork shuffling?
 #1027516  by Highball

fogg1703 wrote: Did any of this WalMart traffic get re-routed "over the top" on CN?
The traffic was routed via highway within Canada after the Sunbury TOFC trains ended thru Maine and I do not know if this means still exists........perhaps CN domestic container services may be the current operation. The Sunbury TOFC western service terminal was at Farnham, in Quebec's Eastern Townships, along MMA's main line. The WalMart traffic orginated from a warehouse terminal near Toronto.

I read an article a few years ago that mentioned Moosehead Breweries in St. John N.B. was shipping 60 % of its product by rail and a good amount gets exported to the U.S. on SJWA......... the Moosehead beer cars " keep flowing " for sure.
 #1027561  by newpylong

All of those white and fading orange "cryo-trans" cars you see with different names for the most part is Moosehead beer coming down from the NBSR.
 #1027683  by JB283

Is that also what is in the few CSX and BNSF cars that are mixed in with all the HLMX cars?
 #1027717  by Highball

JB283 wrote:Is that also what is in the few CSX and BNSF cars that are mixed in with all the HLMX cars?

Thanks JB283 for posting those pics. I was about to mention the CSX and BNSF cars in my next post, concerning the Moosehead traffic. These cars appear to be an insulated type and I'm quite sure they are used in addition to the " white and orangest " CryoTrans cars.

A few years ago, NB Southern and Moosehead Breweries partnered to build in St. John N.B., a structure whereby cars are placed inside a loading dock facility.
 #1027821  by JB283

I had always wondered what was in them and if they where going to St. John full or empty. These pictures are in 2009 on (at the time) 2 different MABA jobs. Now i know!
 #1027959  by Highball

JB283, the centerbeams flats in your top photo, carry gypsum wallboard, made in St. John at Atlantic Wallboard, destined for warehousing in Ayer, Mass.

A plant in McAdam N.B. also produces gypsum wallboard, usually output from that facility that is carried by rail, is interchanged to MMA.