Railroad Forums 

• International Hobby Corporation

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1333156  by ApproachMedium

Backshophoss wrote:To use a DC Loco on DCC you use("channel #") 00 on the throttle,however all the lights are on all the time,the motor will "hum"
while on DCC and run a bit warm.
00 was part of the DCC standards created by NMRA,a lot of the Basic DCC systems done by Bachmann and some of the
"train set" DCC systems use this 00 channel all the time.

Not all DCC systems use this approach. Only Lenz and Digitrax that I know of, allow for the 00 address to operate DC engines. On NCE, 00 is a blanket program on main address that allows you to send decoder program commands to every engine on the track.

Everyone needs to get over this whole expensive thing. Yes there is alot of expensive new stuff coming out, but the modelers demand it so the companies make it. And its not like its sitting on shelves people are buying it. There is still PLENTY of cheap stuff out there to be had at train shows etc. Dont like DCC? Fine. They still make almost everything as a DC only model and anything DCC and sound whatever is fully DC compatible. The cost of DCC decoders has dropped quite a bit in the last few years. Cheapest ones are now about 15-20 dollars. You can buy an NCE Powercab which is fully expandable and fully compatible with its larger brother the Powerpro for about $120-$130 bucks. It wont run DC engines, but a simple toggle switch between your DC pack and the Power cab allows you to play with both systems. I personally operate my mini layout this way so I can test engines in DC before doing conversions or simply fart around with old DC junk from when I was a kid.

This hobby is like anything else in life. It is what you make it. If you make it fun, it will be fun. Concentrate on what makes YOU happy with your stuff. There are plenty of favors of various items out there to be had you just have to look around. eBay often turns up some of these newer "expensive" models at some very very good prices. You never know what you will find unless you are out there looking. I often go to train shows when I am available to because I have found some really great deals on some very nice pieces that I was interested in there.
 #1333312  by CNJ999

"Not all DCC systems use this approach. Only Lenz and Digitrax that I know of, allow for the 00 address to operate DC engines. On NCE, 00 is a blanket program on main address that allows you to send decoder program commands to every engine on the track.

Everyone needs to get over this whole expensive thing. Yes there is alot of expensive new stuff coming out, but the modelers demand it so the companies make it. And its not like its sitting on shelves people are buying it." - Approach Medium

It's not a matter of "getting over the expense". The situation with sales of DCC and high priced gear is a bit more complicated than you portray, Approach Medium. I've been in the hobby for a really long time and have cultivated a broad range of fellow hobbyists in the process and most of us have stuck with DC. Now there is no question that DCC is a big seller today. However, the question posed therein is just who is buying? If a serious survey were conducted as to who is in DCC and who remains in DC I think a lot of folks would be surprised at the results. What I've seen is that DCC is largely being purchased by newcomers and folks not long enough in the hobby to have finished layouts. These are the folks that are willing to spend big money for DCC and high-end locos and excessively detailed rollingstock for $40-$50 the dominant sellers.

However, among the traditional, established, hobbyists I've witnessed their withdrawal from making new purchases of items associate with DCC and those offered for the rapidly escalating prices seen across the board in our hobby over the past decade. Most of us DC users have gathered more than enough equipment over the years to maintain our interest in the hobby for the rest our lives that makes venturing into DCC not only totally unnecessary but and in fact downright undesirable. Honestly, this is the first time in my experience over the entire course of my generation plus time in the hobby that I've witnessed something occur that has created a mass withdrawal of hobbyists from continued participation in the marketplace and I regard it as a particularly sad situation.

CNJ999
 #1333330  by ApproachMedium

If you have enough stuff to keep you happy then this shouldnt be a problem. Nobody is forcing anyone to go to DCC. However I know a few older people who have converted and maintain dual DC/DCC operations so they can run whatever they choose. its certainly easier to add DCC to a brand new layout then to try and retrofit one depending on your track plan but again this is something I think some people who are not so educated on the stuff tend to look at being overly difficult to do and it really is not. Ive done a few layouts and worked on a very large one that was once DC only, then DC/DCC then fully DCC and saw thru the whole DCC conversion.

I have seen the older people to the hobby draw out in some cases as well, I also know some that are rapidly replacing older stuff with the new because of the detail, sounds goodies etc. They also have the income to do such. But for all the older people I see not buying new stuff I do see plenty of young people buying this new expensive "shake the box and play with it" stuff. I def dont see this hobby disappearing anytime soon. There is certainly a large shift in how and what is being bought and how people enjoy the stuff anymore that is for sure. There is nothing that will change this move to DCC though. Technology is continually advancing in this hobby and its even getting ahead of DCC itself now. A few things have been made that are better than it in some respects but since it has such a mass following its not going anywhere anytime soon.