Railroad Forums 

• Intermountain FP7

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#166343  by David Hutchinson

They are releasing an FP7 with four numbers. Their website has a drawing. It shows two headlights and the wrong horns. But.... should be better than the old Atlas/Roco unit.
 #167326  by geep39

Yeah, those ROCO FP-7's are BAD! I measured RDG 900 at Leesport and found quite a few errors on the model. What were they thinking?
I was told that the Intermountain F-7's weren't so hot compared to Highliners and even Stewart's, so I hope they don't continue that with the FP-7. It would have been REAL nice to see Highliners do the FP-7, since the variations would fit their concept nicely.

With Intermountain's distribution "system", I suppose that they won't be too cheap, either.

#167336  by David Hutchinson

The best is when you couple two of the ROCO FPs back to back.... there is a space about the size of an ore jenny between the units.......

#167440  by glennk419

I have three of the Atlas/Roco FP-7's and despite their "shortcomings", they capture the general proportions of the real thing and run reasonably well, albeit a little noisily. I added Kadee short shank couplers and diaphragms to the rear ends which filled in the space nicely. A Walthers dress-up kit and five-chime horn finished them up. My units are numbered 900-902-903 naturally and true to form, 900 is actually still in the paint shop.

#250906  by RDG484

It's easy to replace the horn (FP-7's 902 and 903 both have K-5la's, which Details West carries, I don't know about M-5's by DW), but that bottom headlight will need some surgery. I once did a Santa Fe E-9 as such, with body filler and sanding, and she came out pretty good in a Metro-North-type paint scheme.

I always had a personal dislike for 2 headlights on a cab unit. To me it totally changes the appearance of the unit. If they put the Mars light above the windshield, it wouldn't be too bad. Just my opinion.