Railroad Forums 

• Intermodal to Saint John

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPR.CA. Includes Kansas City Southern.

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1569595  by carchecker

I don't know if I would read too much into the use of JB Hunt containers in the video. Probably just the production company who made the video. If you notice, the boxcars are all BNSF as well. Obviously, I could be wrong too.
 #1569598  by F74265A

Hard to know. However, generally speaking, you cannot use somebody else’s intellectual property, such as their logo, without their permission.
 #1569788  by metoo

Are there any height restrictions on any of the rail lines between st John's and say Albany ny or Toronto restricting double stacks?
 #1569814  by F74265A

DS already moves between SJ and Toronto, so no restrictions there.
Do not know about the north end of the old D&H
 #1569940  by F74265A

CP and Irving Better get the track work back underway to get to 40mph across the route with this new hapag service!
Maersk Penang just left SJ and is headed out of bay of fundy
 #1571934  by F74265A

CP should now have some free time while it waits to see whether stb approves or rejects the cn/kcs arrangement. Perhaps they use the lull to focus on building the ME/SJ service and infrastructure. The Newport line appears largely dead. Perhaps searsport will provide some growth
 #1572002  by JayBee

F74265A wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 3:32 pm CP should now have some free time while it waits to see whether stb approves or rejects the cn/kcs arrangement. Perhaps they use the lull to focus on building the ME/SJ service and infrastructure. The Newport line appears largely dead. Perhaps searsport will provide some growth
Yes, and they now have $700 million USD to invest in projects around the system.
 #1572071  by CN9634

We are just now coming up on the one YEAR anniversary of CP taking over. To say the growth we've seen thus far hasn't ramped up quickly is an understatement... remember it takes years to build up markets and business, and we have just scratched the surface 11.5month in.

To note, the first Hapag call is this Thursday. The import boxes off the ship will discharge at SJ and rail West... all the export boxes (so EB) will go via Montreal. If you check the Port Schedule on the CP website you won't see anything listed for SJ for this reason, they only are taking the imports.

Not sure if that's a strategy to load the ships heavier for the TAWB voyage and/or relieve congestion at PoM, as this service tends to have more imports than exports anyways from a trade balance standpoint (so more empty boxes going back to Europe)0. In that scenario if you remove the stowed import boxes at SJ you'll have no problem flowing up the St Lawrence and taking on export loads + MTs headed back EB to Europe. Just a thought I could be wrong, that or it's one foot out the door on this service at PoM pending larger ships (these vessels are aging out soon).
 #1572088  by F74265A

Agree building the business takes time and that hapag is just starting to come online. Also, the port expansion is still in the construction phase. However, I am looking to see the investment cp makes in short term to the rail infrastructure— eg does the track work blitz continue this summer to get the whole property up to 40mph with passing sidings restored—as this will signal to me their corporate commitment to the project. Very curious to see as well if work is done this season to the searsport line
 #1572106  by CN9634

Track work has already begun in Maine and rail was dropped this past winter for installation shortly. Ties are arriving in gondolas almost every train.