Railroad Forums 

• Interesting signals

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#279209  by Rockingham Racer

Well, to me at least, because they're not very common, and they were both in Portland. Leaving the main line on the train, and diverging to the branch to the passenger station, we got a red-over-red-over-green [slow clear, I think]. Coming out of the station, the approach signal was yellow-over-yellow [ don;t know what that's called].

#279401  by scharnhorst

I think Yellow over Yellow is an indcation to let the engineer know to
be prepared to stop at next signal unless the train infrount of him/her has cleared.

#279507  by Rockingham Racer

I was curious so I looked up the NORAC rules which Pan Am follows, I think.
Yellow-over-yellow is an "approach slow", which requires an immediate reduction to to medium speed, and approach the next signal at Slow Speed. I don't ever remember seeing these on the B&M.

#280987  by CSX Conductor

Rockingham, you are correct about both. Red over Red over Green is a Slow Clear and the Yellow over Yellow is an Approach Slow, which usually means the move will be making a diverging move at the next signal which will be at Slow Speed.

#281003  by Rockingham Racer

New York Central, then later Metro North, had the double yellow both on intermediates, and on three-head interlockings. It was an "advance approach", I think. In any case, it was the aspect on a signal when the second signal ahead was "stop".

I'm wondering where else on Pan Am an engineer has the possibility of seeing a slow clear.