Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#722482  by SubwayTim

Here is a long sought after commercial I remember seeing a lot back in the mid/late 1980s while watching WWF wrestling with my dad, that FINALLY found its way onto YouTube! It is one of several Levi's "501 Blues" commercials shot in New York City during the 1980's, with this one featuring the old (now defunct) stairways at 155th Street that some sources claim were once part of the 9th Ave. El/Polo Grounds Shuttle, along with a brief shot of the Times Square - Grand Central Shuttle. I couldn't identify the other scenes in the commercial, such as the ones that show the guys walking towards the camera on what appears to be some sort of a bridge. I remember back in the mid/late 1980's after seeing that commercial, my curiousity got the best of me over where that stairway was located in New York! During each visit to New York City in the 1980's, I would ride each of the elevated lines in Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx to try to find which station(s) had those fancy ornate railings on the stairs, but to no avail. For some unknown reason my search for the stairway in the Levi's commercial was mainly focused in Brooklyn! One day as I rode into the Bronx on the 2/5 train, I noticed the elevated stations (Jackson Ave., Simpson St., etc.) were quite ornate, and at first I thought I "hit the jackpot", thinking that I finally found the area where the commercial was shot, but noticed with a little disappointment that the stairs didn't match the ones in the commercial. It was only in the mid 1990's that I found out those stairs were at 155th Street in Manhattan and led up to a highway overpass rather than an elevated train station! Anyway, here is the link to that commercial...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6UbGXe1UHk