Railroad Forums 

• Interesting Consist Discussion for the North Side

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1442286  by CRail

RenegadeMonster wrote: Also noticed a lot more locomotives are have a round MassDOT sticker on the front?
Is that a question or a statement?

The MBTA is part of MassDOT, therefor its assets are not changing hands.
 #1442297  by BandA

MassDOT is the mothership, MBTA the subsidiary. Perhaps the equipment is supposedly surplus, perhaps MBTA doesn't have the budget & MassDOT is paying for an overhaul "off the books", maybe because work isn't being done at BET or under an MBTA contract, so they paper transfer the ownership to avoid "trouble"
 #1444371  by MBTA3247

It's typically done for one of two reasons: both engines are ailing, with one providing traction and the other HEP; or one has just come out of the shop after being repaired and the second loco is there for insurance if the repair doesn't hold up.
 #1444674  by Diverging Route

RenegadeMonster wrote:Yes, I saw it yesterday.

It was part of a set with 2 engines. Both engines on the outbound side.

I have seen quite a few sets like this recently. What's the purpose of the two engines on one side?
The 011 was still paired with 1070 this morning. It was on 305, and broke down at Winchester Center, resuming its trip about 15 minutes late.

Two engines can be one of a number of things:
* One of the engines is just back from major repairs and the second is to serve as a protect
* One engine has no HEP and the other has no prime mover; as a pair they serve as one engine
* I'm sure there are others...
 #1445044  by RenegadeMonster

There seems to be a lot more sets of all flats as of late.

There is one dreaded set of 4 flats. And at least 2 others of 5 flats that I have seen.

Also, the randomness of sets it getting more chaotic. The train I catch from Salem in the morning can bounce from 6 cars which include 2 double deckers to the 4 car flat set (standing room only).
 #1448410  by RenegadeMonster

The past week and a half I have noticed the train sets are either 6 cars or 4 with over crowding.

No 5 car sets, at least on the trains I take. Every other trip seems to be alternating between 6 and 4 cars almost. No consistency.

Anyone know if they will be adding additional cars to sets on the Eastern this week like they did last year for Halloween?