• Interested in a rail siding

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by PRossa

I just found this site today and was interested in knowing if anyone can direct me to a siding I can use to move material off long island any help would be great thanks
  by jayrmli

A lot of factors come into play here. It depends on what exactly you are moving, where you are moving it from, where are you moving it to, etc.

Most existing sidings are privately owned and you wouldn't be able to just load or unload there without permission from the land owner.
  by Sir Ray

If this is not a joke (we tend to be a bit cynical here at rr.net): If you haven't already, contact NY&A who basically hold the local freight franchise for Long Island.

If that doesn't work, you may have to go thru a freight forwarder on Long Island.
  by PRossa

thanks for the info sir ray I should have been more clear on the post I know that NY&A has the contract what I should have stated was does any one know of any available sidings in long island that NY&A may have available
  by Sir Ray

PRossa wrote:thanks for the info sir ray I should have been more clear on the post I know that NY&A has the contract what I should have stated was does any one know of any available sidings in long island that NY&A may have available
Long Island is a pretty big place, as you already know. NY&A has some team tracks here and there (I guess, for example, off John Street in Hicksville), although as I understand it they limit how far out they go east nowadays, so that's a consideration if you were, for example, in Montauk. Also, unused sidings after a few years tend to get disconnected as the LIRR charges some sort of fee to maintain them (this may or may not be true nowadays). Maybe Brookhaven Rail Terminal is now acting as a team-track, I don't know, and neither will you UNLESS you contact the NY&A directly.
From this thread, I gather the old 84 Lumber siding in Islip has been used as a team track, but again, NY&A makes the call, not me.
  by freightguy

84 Lumber isn't exactly the world's largest team track. If you had 2 60' foot cushioned drawbar boxcars and they weren't spotted correctly you were on the circuit at Islip Ave and the gates stayed down tripping the island circuit....Medford Team or even better US Rail may accomodate the car better. If you have to unload the commodity from both sides of the car nix Hicksville, Islip, or Medford.
  by PRossa

I am looking for something long term to move scrap metal and glass cullet off long island I had some computer issues im back any information would be greatly appreciated if any one can email thats fine also [email protected]