Railroad Forums 

• Injury statistics in the 19th Century

• Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.
Discussion about railroad topics everywhere outside of Canada and the United States.

Moderators: Komachi, David Benton

#1410993  by philipmartin

I sold tickets for the Pennsylvania Railroad in New York City in 1957, and we also sold trip insurance. You couLd make a small commission. I didn't sell any and I believe the railroad gave it shortly after.
A lot of people were injured riding trains in the 19th Century.
British Pathe previews:
http://www.britishpathe.com/workspaces/ ... -Disasters" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by philipmartin on Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1411033  by george matthews

Parliament had to legislate on safety. Gradually the companies were made to improve but horrible events continued to occur well into the 20th century.

It took decades to make the companies aware of the need for safety. They resisted legislation, complaining that the Parliamentary rules cut into their profits. Progress depended on the electorate gradually being enlarged. As MPs were responsible to larger classes of people they became more aware of the need to keep the companies in order. This is a process still going on as right wing governments tend to remove restrictions and leftwing governments tend to control more.
 #1411500  by philipmartin

george matthews wrote: Do tell us what nearly happened.
In 1960 I opened the door on a train that was pulling into Penn Station, New York, (high level platforms,) and stepped off on the wrong foot. I nearly pitched in between the cars, but caught my balance, Deo gratias.
Around the same year I worked all night at "Q" tower in Sunnyside yard, in Queens, New York, one time. Leaving the tower the next morning, I was about to cross a track in front of a cut of cars that was being shoved towards me. The man riding the hind end hollered, and I realized what was happening.
In 1956 I was working at an engine terminal in North Bergen, New Jersey, and the guys told me that I almost got hit by an engine. I was unaware of it.
Off topic, but some years ago I was pulling out of a rest area on an interstate highway, with my CB radio on and I heard a truck driver say "It looks as though this guy is going to pull out in front of me." So I realized what was happening and put on the brakes.
 #1411615  by philipmartin

All the railroads I have worked for have promoted safety, to greater or lesser degree.
Here's a link to safety information, accessible from "wwwnjtransit.com" Enter "safety" in the "search box" in the upper right hand corner. http://www.njtransit.com/tm/tm_servlet. ... &gsc.sort=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;