Railroad Forums 

• Injury at Port Richmond

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#221213  by kevikens

I heard that a man had his two legs severed and is in real bad shape after a CSX train shifting cars at the Port Richmond facility hit him. The story is that he was not an employeee of the railroad and they would not release his name pending... . I sure hope this guy was not a rail fan. Anyone know more about this ?

#221637  by kevikens

That's pretty much what I had heard and that is why I wondered if it might have been a rail fan. Rail fans do go to that spot as the tracks go over the Richmond Street route 15 and some railfans have gone up there to photograph the trolleys.

#221846  by chuchubob

kevikens wrote:That's pretty much what I had heard and that is why I wondered if it might have been a rail fan. Rail fans do go to that spot as the tracks go over the Richmond Street route 15 and some railfans have gone up there to photograph the trolleys.
Some railfans will do anything to get a good photo location. Not me, though. I'm [usually] very circumspect.

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/o ... _05_05.jpg

http://www.transitspot.com/gallery2/v/o ... _05_06.jpg

Bob

#289316  by jfrey40535

I've been up there many times, for various reasons (railfan related), and can't see how in the world you could get hit by a train. Those diesels are so loud, you'd have to be deaf to get hit.

If you stay away from the tracks, the CSX crews don't mind you being there. They've always given me warm waves.

I have noticed that security has tightened around there. I decided to roam around on a Sunday when there's no activity, and saw a CSA security guy hop in his SUV in hot pursuit (of me?). I was gone before he reached my area, but I suspect they're trying to crack down on the large number of kids on ATV's who think the ex-Reading yard is their playground.

Incidently, anyone who wants to railfan there, Monday is a great day. There are always freight moves in the evening. The NS concrete train comes through a few times a month too, and you can get great shots of it over on Allegheny, on public property.