Railroad Forums 

• Info on UP 2-10-2's

• Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads
Discussion of steam locomotives from all manufacturers and railroads

Moderators: Typewriters, slide rules

#289324  by burritofarmer

Hello,
I'm looking for any specifications for the Union Pacific TTT-63 2-10-2's, namely driver diameter, boilder diameter, length, etc... I've checked the net but I haven't found anything. If anyone knows these or has some reference, I just need to know these few details. Any info will be much appreciated!!

-Mike

#289887  by Donko142

I was out on the UP a few weeks back and looked over that one they have in the round house. 99% sure they were 63" drivers

#291076  by FourTwelveTwo

I'll be happy to try and help you out, but I'd appreciate more specifics in the sense of the dimensions you want.

Donko142's correct, driving wheel diameter was 63".

John

#291853  by burritofarmer

Hi,
I think much of the dimensions I would need could be found on a blueprint, but I doubt there are any readily available for this engine... I could be wrong. Anyways, I make 3d models for Microsoft Train Simulator, and the TTT63 is one of my projects. (In retrospect, the 63 in the locomotive designation is also the driver diameter... coincedence?) I was mainly looking for the driver diameter. Using that, I can eyeball everything else. However, if you happen to know or can find out distances between drivers and trailing/pilot wheels, that could help, as well as boiler (outside) diameter, and cab dimensions. I have been able to do quite a bit of work with just the driver dimensions, and the results are pretty good! One thing that will be difficult will be the Young valve gear. Animating it should be interesting. Anyone have idea why Young gear was used instead of Walschaert or Baker? I do recall seeing some pictures with TTT63's having these valve gears...

Thanks!
-Mike

#294061  by FourTwelveTwo

I'll be happy to get you the requested data, just give me some time.

Union Pacific took an interest in the Young gear, which had certain advantages such as long travel. Just exactly why they converted the 4-8-2's to the Walscheart gear remains something of a mystery because the correspondence which might detail the matter appears to be long gone. I did speak with the mechanical engineer who was in charge of the project (the second iteration thereof), but he was quite elderly and while remembering it was a challenge for him at the time he couldn't recall why it was begun. Personally, I have an opinion but it's not worth mentioning here as I have nothing to back it up.

If you want to give me your email address I'll provide the 5000 dimensions, or I can just leave it here if you'd rather.

John

#295017  by FourTwelveTwo

burritofarmer,

Some dimensions depend upon the type of tender you're planning and the period during which you plan to base your engine. For final dimensions please get back to me with the above.

Overall height: 15' 11 1/4"

Length of engine-front coupler to pulling face: Approx. 55' (following application of E-2 buffers).

Pilot wheel diameter: 30"
Driving wheel diameter: 63"
Trailing truck diameter: 45"

Engine wheelbase: 41' 5"

Distance from pilot truck to first driving axle: 8' 11"
Distance between first and second driving axles: 6'0"
Distance between all other driving axles: 5'6"
Distance from last driving axle to trailer: 10'0"

Cab length: Approx 7' (I can be more specific later if you need it)
Cab width: 11"0" over hand holds (so about 6" less in actual dimensions)

Center of stack to center of sand dome: 7' 2 1/2"
Center of sand dome to center of steam dome: Approx. 6'

Center of front coupler 33 1/2" above rail
Center of boiler (and thus headlight) 10'2" above rail

Distance from center of pilot truck axle to front of coupler 4' 11 1/4"

You'll have to decide if you want to include a feedwater heater. Those will take some work.

You need to look at some pix and let me know what you want to do in the sense of tender and era of your model so I can help you finalize a few things.

Hope this helps get ya started.

John

#301722  by FourTwelveTwo

So, burritofarmer, this stuff must not have been that important to you after all, or you don't know how to thank someone for taking their time in your behalf, eh?

#301899  by UPRR engineer

"Thanks Burritofarmer!!!"

#304848  by burritofarmer

Hi,
Sorry for going a while without reply or thanks. I've been kinda busy with college, but I probably should have looked at this forum at least to reply. Things just pile up here and the days fly by, so the next thing I know, a month has already passed. I actually haven't gotten to working on this engine since early September, so I completely apolpgize for lack of thanks!!

Your dimensions are more than sufficient to make this model, and I really do thank you for taking time out to find this stuff for me, because I know I dont and probably wont ever have the resources to look this stuff up on my own. I just need basic dimensions like these and I can pretty much eyeball everything else, and that usually works well. So, once again, I am SO SO SORRY!! And a big THANK YOU as well!!

-Mike