Railroad Forums 

• Info on Rochester NY Station

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#294538  by fetzdog121

I was wondering where the best place or places would be to find information other than whats on the amtrak website woudl be.

Thanks

#294808  by L'mont

What a loss.....

#294929  by AgentSkelly

I have to agree...though the same thing happened for SDY around the same time period, but they plan to build a new station there. I hope someday the same thing can be said for Rochester.

#294939  by gprimr1

Did anyone notice it's sort of missing a roof?

#294972  by fetzdog121

their platform if you can even call it that is in very sad shape. Hopefully it gets a new roof.

Just another question is it in a nice part of town, or is it part if town you dont really wantto be in late at night

#294995  by umtrr-author

The station is just north of dead center of downtown. Do a Google map on "Central Avenue Rochester NY" and that will get you the immediate area. Haven't done the map plus satellite but it should help.

Not sure I can recommend it if you're not familiar with the area, at least at night. If you are driving over and park in the lot, I don't think I would be too concerned, particularly if you are there when a train is due-- sufficient activity.

During the day, I would not have any worries at all.

#294998  by fetzdog121

thanks

#295013  by AgentSkelly

umtrr-author wrote:The station is just north of dead center of downtown. Do a Google map on "Central Avenue Rochester NY" and that will get you the immediate area. Haven't done the map plus satellite but it should help.

Not sure I can recommend it if you're not familiar with the area, at least at night. If you are driving over and park in the lot, I don't think I would be too concerned, particularly if you are there when a train is due-- sufficient activity.

During the day, I would not have any worries at all.
Oddly I do know about what the downtown area of Rochester is like at that time of night :P

I found it pretty safe, there's police on partrol either by foot or car and also usually other people around. Homeless people usually are not a problem, they go away at night to various places.

#295146  by dumpster.penguin

gprimr1 wrote:Did anyone notice it's sort of missing a roof?
The pictures were taken during reconstruction. The roof is back. Pack a raincoat anyway.

#295338  by EastCleveland

About a year ago, I stepped from a very late Empire Service train at midnight and walked from the station to a downtown hotel. Although the streets were shadowy and completely deserted, they didn't feel especially dangerous, just desolate. However, I wouldn't recommend such a stroll to everyone, especially if you're carrying luggage, or if you're easily spooked.

The platform posts and canopy frame are original. They're all that remains of the old New York Central station, apart from two other crumbling, weed-grown platforms (without canopies) which haven't been used since 1966.

You'll find a photo of the canopies being destroyed here:

http://www.alpharail.net/histpix/Upsny5.jpg

-------------------------------------------------

#295391  by AgentSkelly

EastCleveland wrote:About a year ago, I stepped from a very late Empire Service train at midnight and walked from the station to a downtown hotel. Although the streets were shadowy and completely deserted, they didn't feel especially dangerous, just desolate. However, I wouldn't recommend such a stroll to everyone, especially if you're carrying luggage, or if you're easily spooked.

The platform posts and canopy frame are original. They're all that remains of the old New York Central station, apart from two other crumbling, weed-grown platforms (without canopies) which haven't been used since 1966.

You'll find a photo of the canopies being destroyed here:

http://www.alpharail.net/histpix/Upsny5.jpg

-------------------------------------------------
I know in the summer, your pretty safe around that time because there's a club/bar of some sort on the otherside of High Falls, which there's always people walking to and from it.

#295427  by Rhinecliff

Let there be no mistake about it: The Rochester, NY station is located on the fringe of one of the most crime-infested areas of America. It is not a safe place hang out. Any doubts should be resolved by contacting the local police for their insight.

#295503  by AgentSkelly

Rhinecliff wrote:Let there be no mistake about it: The Rochester, NY station is located on the fringe of one of the most crime-infested areas of America. It is not a safe place hang out. Any doubts should be resolved by contacting the local police for their insight.
I have to disagree, that part of Rochester isn't Tanglewood, NJ.

I am not saying anyone should be careless with personal safety, but its being over exaggerated here.