Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#179888  by BobLI

Hi, I was just wondering how many industries are served from Binghampton to Rotterdam Jct.

I know Richter feeds in Central Bridge is busy, and is the cement plant in Howes Caves served by the RR? I remember reading years ago that they wanted to open the plant w/rail service. There must be some activity in Oneonta?

#179890  by scottychaos

there is no "Binghampton" along the D&H.. :wink:
(sorry..its a pet-peeve of mine! )

Scot
 #179952  by JoeCollege

I wish Binghamton were one of the Hamptons; my house would be worth a LOT more.

Headed North from Binghamton, the first business served is McDowell & Walker Feed in Afton. Next comes Blue Seal Feed and Elmer's Glue, both in Bainbridge. I believe that's it until Oneonta.

It looks like at one time Una-Lam received by rail; they make roof trusses and other wood products. Also, I think Mead/At-A-Glance received paper by rail but has no sidings any more. Too bad.

Always wondered if Suburban Propane and Mirabito Fuel have any interest in receiving heating oil or propane by rail.

The bottom line is that there isn't much industry in this part of the state. The D&H and NYSW lines pass through some of the most rural areas of upstate NY.

#182841  by NYSW3614

Some additions-

In Binghmaton proper, D&H serves Cold Storage located along Bevier Street. In Oneonta they serve Lutz feed, a lumber facility (Fynch and Pruyn?), that feed place built on top of the former roundhouse. Oneonta is a MOW base so there's deleveries in there once and awhile. D&H also interchanges with the C&CV and the DURR in the area. I believe that is it until the feed mill in Central Bridge- if they're still open.

J

#182863  by charlie6017

Does D&H serve the power plant with coal?

#182864  by NYSW3614

The one in Bainbridge or Afton? It used to, off and on. Now the powerplant is closed- has been for a few years.

J
 #192204  by march hare

Second sub has never been exactly traffic rich. That motto "the Bridge Line to New England and Canada" is as much a confession as a boast--the primary value of the D&H has been (since the anthracite traffic died 50 years ago) connecting RRs at one end to the other.

Currently, Richter is about it between Schenectady and Oneonta. I think the Colliersville siding for propane is still in, but I haven't seen it used in years. Howes Cave is still in, and the new development plans for that quarry offer some hope for the future. But I haven't seen a car go in there in quite a while.

Curiously, it looks like the old PASNY siding in West Richmondville is still in. Again, no service.

The former NYSEG power plant near Bainbridge has been out of service since the mid 1990s and probably will never be reopened. It is an old-design stoker plant which is inefficient and would be very difficult to bring up to air pollution control standards. For a few years, it was getting its coal in by truck, and was also burning things such as RR ties for fuel. There was a plan afoot at one point to burn contaminated soil (gasoline spills, coal tar, etc) but the deregulation of the power biz in the 90s meant that utilities had to divest themselves of the gernerating stations, and the proposal was dropped when the new owners took over.
 #255381  by D&HFan

The cement plant in Howes Cave has a new switch installed and as I understand they are going to request 80 cars per week when they are operational next year.

#255919  by BobLI

Any one have any pics of the new switch at the cement plant? And is there going to be a small storage yard on the plant grounds?

#255935  by D&HFan

BobLI wrote:Any one have any pics of the new switch at the cement plant? And is there going to be a small storage yard on the plant grounds?
I will get a picture sometime today and post it. I have not seen any further action as far as small yard but I imagine that it will be coming. This is going to be a big operation from what I understand. There was even talk of a passing siding on the mainline so the through frieght can pass while the local switches.

#259358  by Champlain Division

BTW, D&H does not serve Rotterdam JCT, NY.

#259440  by D&HFan

Nope that would be Guilford and CSX.