Railroad Forums 

• Industrial working in Dayton, NJ - June 2016

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1386246  by Hymek

I'm new to this forum ... well, new to US railroads for that matter.

However, this struck me as a rare movement on my way home last week. Perhaps it happens every day, but I've not seen any activity on this spur ever in all the time I've driven this commute.

Thursday, June 19, 2016: Spur into Jerich USA, Dayton, NJ. CSX 2798 pushing right to left

I hope it's interesting. If not I'm sure you'll let me know ;)
 #1386476  by bigblue5277

Nice Catch! Yeah I used to commute this way as well. And I'd say once in a blue moon I'd catch the train here. My problem is that I would pass here around 6 -6:30pm the latest. I don't know how often they serve this one industry, which requires them to cross Rt. 522 Ridge Rd. Good chance it's at least once a week. My guess is when they do cross here its more around 7pm onward. You have long shadows in the pictures so looks to be about that time. I do know this train is labeled SA33 out of Browns Yard. It runs 5 days a week in the afternoon/evening. If you can catch again please post.
 #1386489  by pumpers

A few years ago they added extra lanes on the Turnpike in that stretch. My bet is that the new track is related that. If you look at Streetview on the northbound side looking at the tracks going north, you see the same thing -- some new tracks and ballast extending 100 ft or so from the turnpike.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2970414 ... 56!6m1!1e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Then what looks like the old weedy right of way.

No idea what that new construction project is - the image was from November so probably by now it is close to completed.
Jim S
 #1386528  by Hymek

bigblue5277 wrote:My guess is when they do cross here its more around 7pm onward. You have long shadows in the pictures so looks to be about that time.
Well done Sherlock! It was 7.30pm.
 #1387059  by wis bang

pumpers wrote:A few years ago they added extra lanes on the Turnpike in that stretch. My bet is that the new track is related that. If you look at Streetview on the northbound side looking at the tracks going north, you see the same thing -- some new tracks and ballast extending 100 ft or so from the turnpike.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.2970414 ... 56!6m1!1e1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Then what looks like the old weedy right of way.

No idea what that new construction project is - the image was from November so probably by now it is close to completed.
Jim S
ground is prepared but not built yet...

OP was sitting in front of my companies' warehouse. We have a rail spur but haven't had any customers in over two years. They always drilled in the evening/night