Railroad Forums 

• Increase Worcester service start-up date.

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1207032  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

everything has been running great so far. There have been no problems at all, atleast dispatching wise. As for an update for the layover tracks in the P&W, I heard yesterday that there are 2 tracks nearing completion. The ground air needs to be installed and that should be it. The location is near the WYE and engine house in the yard??? I'm not qualified down in there, but from the way it was explained, it is a straight shot to get up the hill to access CP 45 and then the controlled siding.
 #1207195  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Komarovsky wrote:Is Amtrak still dispatching between south station and cove? In the past few days a new 5-10mph speed restriction has gone in between yawkey and cove for some reason.
There have been no other changes with Amtrak TD's. The Terminal TD is in charge of South Station's TOWER 1 and COVE interlockings. The Worcester Main Line TD is in control between COVE (exclusive) and CP 45 (exclusive).There is a 10 mph speed restriction within CP 3 interlocking limits. I noticed fresh wooden ties under the mass pike near CP 3, assuming the two are connected.
 #1207717  by boatsmate

Where is the Worcester TD antenna at?? I have put the radio frequency in my scanner but have not heard anything on it in the Worcester area... I used to hear the NA dispatcher fine as well as some of the trains and on a good day I could hear the Grafton Detector.

Thanks in advance

Bill
 #1207735  by frrc

boatsmate wrote:Where is the Worcester TD antenna at?? I have put the radio frequency in my scanner but have not heard anything on it in the Worcester area... I used to hear the NA dispatcher fine as well as some of the trains and on a good day I could hear the Grafton Detector.

Thanks in advance

Bill
I recall their used (?) to be an antenna on a hill in Paxton, Anebusket(?) hill or a similar name. And an antenna in the main yards.

JoeF
 #1207799  by KB1KVD

The Worcester TD is operated from the South Station CETC. There's a base radio in Worcester, Grafton, Wellesley, Cove and inside Back Bay. MBCR didn't take any of the CSX radio sites due to coverage issues along the mainline. One of the big issues CSX had was if the radio in Paxton went down they lost a lot of territory due to the nature of VHF with all the hills.
 #1209197  by NaDspr

CSX had radio bases at Beacon Park, Framingham and Worcester along the commuter rail route. Paxton covered a lot of the NA Dispatching territory. Even if Paxton went down, the other bases still worked. Paxton is still in service for CSX as is Worcester and Framingham. Not sure about Beacon Park.
 #1209299  by CPF363

Does anyone know if the MBTA is dispatching the Boston to Worcester line as of yet? The CSX NB dispatcher seems to be running the line all of the way up to Worcester now. If this is true, what is the furthest western point where the MBTA dispatcher cuts off and the NB dispatcher begins? What radio frequency is being used on the MBTA portion of the line? CSX seems to still be using both 160.680MHz and 160.800MHz.
 #1209350  by KB1KVD

MBTA Worcester dispatcher controls up to but not including CP45 on AAR 20-20 (160.410). CSX NB (formerly NA) handed over to the mbta dispatching back on Aug 3.
 #1209356  by ns3010

NaDspr wrote:How is the on time performance now that MBCR has taken over the dispatching of the Worcester Line?
MBCR and the T were very pleased to report several days of 100% OTP during the first week of the dispatching takeover. I noticed at least two or three days during that week where they took to Twitter to brag about their success.
 #1209731  by KB1KVD

Even though the other bases still worked, there was still a several mile gap in radio coverage. Mostly between Auburndale and Natick where the coverage became spotty.
 #1229242  by The EGE

The full 40 Worcester one-way trips (increase from the current 33) will take place in December or January, reports the Telegram. Buried under all the SCR nonsense has been $15M in track upgrades for the line, half next year and half the year after. That sounds a lot like Beacon Park 2nd main plus 79mph running west of Framingham to me.