Railroad Forums 

• Increase Worcester service start-up date.

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1179202  by Komarovsky

Missed the express this morning, but got a T-alert at 6:40 noting that it had left on time(why???). On the express home, lots of confused people on the platforms at Back Bay and Yawkey due to P527's time switch.

Consist for the OB trip is 1068 with what looks like 6 flats. There are staff taking head counts in each car, and there are about 30-40 people in the car I'm in.
 #1179234  by Komarovsky

Here's the trip report for the OB express:

Left Back Bay and traveled at around full track speed until it crossed 128, at which point it slowed down to about 25-30mph until it arrived in Framingham at 6:20. Left Framingham at about 6:25 and went full track speed until we arrived at Worcester at about 6:55. The non-quiet cars(I was in the quiet car) seemed to be better patronized, but I'm not sure how many people there were.
 #1201592  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

Some updated information regarding the Worcester line. As of Friday, 7/19, plans to take over the Dispatching by MBCR between COVE and CP 45 will begin August 3rd...AGAIN*** this is the plan, subject to change*** August 3rd, MBCR will assume control of dispatching the Worcester line. MBCR is already in charge of the maintenance and signals on the line. There are still some agreements to be worked out with CSX at CP 45 because there are currently 2-3 layover tracks being constructed in the P&W yard for the anticipated increase in Worcester service for the fall. Also, MBCR is in discussion with CSX regarding the heat restrictions that occur on the line, and what the safest method possible is in regards to discarding this rule due to the rail and how it was laid IIRC...didn't quite get the full scope on that part.
 #1201823  by Komarovsky

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:There any movement afoot on laying a second mainline track through Beacon Park, or upping speeds to 79 in cab signal territory west of Framingham?
I've noticed a lot of new ballast along the line both east and West of Framingham, as well as bundles of ties. Might be an indication of a speed bump soon?
 #1201832  by MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:There any movement afoot on laying a second mainline track through Beacon Park, or upping speeds to 79 in cab signal territory west of Framingham?
As a matter of fact, I got some info this morning regarding the old Beacon Park yard as well. As always, several rumors floating around. One definite is that the 2nd mainline is indeed going to be reinstalled in the future, no work on it yet tho. I went thru CP 4 this morning, on the South side of the tracks(not Pike side), there is a concrete foundation in place, which to me, looks to be a future cantilever signal bridge for the eastern directional home signal. Regarding Beacon Park, there is talk that MBTA may move their layover of trains from the Big Yard and Front Yard in Southampton St. Yard, Amtrak really wants us out of there. I haven't heard any talk regarding the upgrade in speeds or cab signals East of CP 21 just yet. Update on the dispatching takeover also. Very early August 3rd, they are planning on doing the switchover of dispatching, so expect signal delays thru the weekend for bugs and glitches, and they are hoping to have everything squared away by rush hour Monday morning. I don't know exactly where the layover tracks are going in the P&W, but I'll try to get answers
 #1201870  by The EGE

On Sunday, I was on the westbound LSL. We sat for about 10 minutes just past the bridge over 128, waiting for the inbound commuter train to clear CP 11. There are few enough weekend trains that they don't have to change service to single-track the Weston to Framingham section, but the commuter train was just a bit late.
 #1201873  by BandA

Old news, but the railroad telegraph poles sadly were removed through Newton some time prior to Easter, signals, cabinets and stairs got fresh paint late last year or early this year. There was even an MBCR signals truck working on the cabinet ~MP8.6? in W. Newton opp. Trader Joe's the Saturday of Easter Weekend! (FYI, trader Joe's building was originally a trolley barn, although it was stripped down to the steel. Also note the there are a couple of trolley poles still standing in front of trader joe's and the next corner, holding up fire alarm cables. The trolleys were removed around 1930 for water main construction for ?Boston?).
 #1201876  by BandA

wicked wrote:What are the current single/double track territories on the line? Thanks.
I don't know, but back in the '80s and '90s I found stopping and waiting at Cottage Farm waiting for the single track through Beacon Park quite asinine, a system probably unchanged from circa 1962, when it made a lot of sense for the New York Central / Boston and Albany to limit the few remaining commuter trains to only one track. I believe the NYC got a free "class A" rebuild from South Station to Auburndale courtesy of the Turnpike Authority that probably carried them through the penn-central years, plus cash for assets that they didn't need/weren't using, while passenger riders lost all their stations.
 #1201907  by F-line to Dudley via Park

wicked wrote:What are the current single/double track territories on the line? Thanks.
Just Beacon Park and the Worcester Union Station platform turnout that runs from about Fantasia Dr. to Myrtle St. in Worcester. The 3 Newton stops are facto single track when an outbound has to run wrong-rail to reach them, due to lack of crossovers that force any inbounds to hold outside 128.

Beacon Park's a big choke point, so that'll be an immediate improvement on schedule density. The Newton situation is going to have to wait until they do any...then all...of the following: install more crossovers, replace the old unidirectional wayside signal system with bi-directional cab signals, and ADA + double-platform those 3 stops.
 #1201954  by F-line to Dudley via Park

MBTA F40PH-2C 1050 wrote:
As a matter of fact, I got some info this morning regarding the old Beacon Park yard as well. As always, several rumors floating around. One definite is that the 2nd mainline is indeed going to be reinstalled in the future, no work on it yet tho. I went thru CP 4 this morning, on the South side of the tracks(not Pike side), there is a concrete foundation in place, which to me, looks to be a future cantilever signal bridge for the eastern directional home signal. Regarding Beacon Park, there is talk that MBTA may move their layover of trains from the Big Yard and Front Yard in Southampton St. Yard, Amtrak really wants us out of there. I haven't heard any talk regarding the upgrade in speeds or cab signals East of CP 21 just yet. Update on the dispatching takeover also. Very early August 3rd, they are planning on doing the switchover of dispatching, so expect signal delays thru the weekend for bugs and glitches, and they are hoping to have everything squared away by rush hour Monday morning. I don't know exactly where the layover tracks are going in the P&W, but I'll try to get answers
Is this the engine yard they're considering. Because in the previous southside storage study they were talking about yard tracks next to the mainline (which didn't make a lot of sense if the engine yard was being vacated)?
 #1202035  by TrainManTy

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:The Newton situation is going to have to wait until they do any...then all...of the following: install more crossovers, replace the old unidirectional wayside signal system with bi-directional cab signals.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean about the existing signal system. Framingham to Boston is all waysides with no cab signals, but it is bi-directional.

Also, I passed by Beacon Park on P523 today and some of the yard track closest to the main (where the future second main will go) has been removed. Ties are still there but a couple hundred feet of stick rail is gone with tie plates stacked nearby.