Railroad Forums 

• Incorporate RSS (Really Simple Syndication) into the site?

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

#30654  by Mr Lehigh

It stands for Really Simple Syndication. I use it on other chat sites. It's sort of tough to explain. It's a standard that's been around since 98, but it's just coming in use alot lately. I use it to get at all new messages on chat sites, or new stories on news sites. If you have a My Yahoo page, you can view them there. I have a program loaded into IE called Pluck that does something similar. It's something you might like to look at to see what you think.

#31904  by Otto Vondrak

That does sound interesting. Send a note along to the webmaster, since he really handles the technical aspects of this site.

-otto-
 #32069  by Mike Roque

Mr Lehigh wrote:Is there any plans to incorporate RSS into the site?
Yes, I believe this is a new feature that is supposed to be incorporated into the next version of phpBB. RSS is great and if it is part of the new version, we will try to use it.

Otto, RSS allows you to publish content on your site so that other people can use it on their site in real time. For example, let's say you have an Amtrak site and you want to show all the topics on the RRNET Amtrak forum on your site. We would set up an RSS feed (It's just a text file, really) on the RRNET server (Let's say, http://www.railroad.net/forums/rss/amtrak.rss ) and then your site uses a script to read the file and insert the topics and links to our forum on your site. This way, your Amtrak site always has a current list of topics from our forum. It adds content to the Amtrak site and brings traffic to RRNET.

#32285  by Mr Lehigh

Thanks. You explained it a whole lot better than I could!

From the look and feel of this site, it looks as though you use the same program as another site I use, priuschat.com. They have RSS set up on their site, and it comes in handy at times.