Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#726283  by metraRI

Looks like hopes of any new locomotives have been canceled.
Passenger Diesel / Electric Locomotives and Related Spare Parts
Pre-Proposal Meeting Monday, January 12, 2009 @ 2:00 PM

No Charge for One (1) Proposal Package. $50.00 for Each Additional Package

Addendum No. 11 16874-FS 10:00 AM
Changed From
10/29/2009
To
CANCELLED IN ITS ENTIRETY
 #729490  by MACTRAXX

Byte: Interesting news about the South Branch Bottleneck-note my term for that bridge-it used to amaze me how strategic it was and how many Amtrak trains crossed it and later after the N&W train was switched to Union Station in 1976 we know that evolved eventually to today's SWS service. I feel there should be another bridge replacing it or a new one supplementing it with at least two more tracks now that the SBB is more then 100 years old now. Thoughts from MACTRAXX
 #729529  by doepack

Meg Reile of Metra wrote:"We'll have to use this complicated procedure to get the trains out off Union Station," Metra spokesman Meg Reile said. "It involves using alternate tracks through a rail yard."
St. Charles airline perhaps? It's really the only logical reroute option that will still leave the locomotives facing the right way...
 #729539  by dwgwater

Does anyone have any recent info in this. I'm heading over to take the SWS home soon. How long's it gonna take?
Dave
 #729591  by doepack

dwgwater wrote:Does anyone have any recent info in this. I'm heading over to take the SWS home soon. How long's it gonna take?
Dave
Please see the link to the modified SWS service on the "Service Disruptions" thread if you've not done so already...
 #729722  by doepack

Lemont, Lockport, and Romeoville want more service...
 #763251  by doepack

A new Romeoville station is coming soon, so that's a plus. And the addition of an extra train in both directions (perhaps of the reverse-commute variety) will also help as well. But long term, the line needs to be upgraded with better speeds within the city, while also upgrading some combination of Corwith (BNSF), Argo (IHB/CSX) and LeMoyne (BRC/NS) with flyovers, although I believe CREATE addresses some of these long-standing issues. But otherwise, while HC's physical capacity can support more trains, the heavy overall presence of freight traffic within the route infrastructure will prevent the service from being dependable...
 #763892  by justalurker66

metraRI wrote:City's July 3rd fireworks canceled: http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?sectio ... id=7242409

Not directly related to Metra, but will definaltey have an effect on Metra. As most know, the 3rd of July is typically the busiest day of the year for Metra... wonder if they consider this a good or bad thing.
The combined impact of Taste and the fireworks is being divided. Fireworks on Sunday the 4th, separated from Taste will be different. The partiers will go home and come back to the three fireworks locations Sunday night. Metra may still need extra trains, just split between the two days.
 #763973  by doepack

metraRI wrote: As most know, the 3rd of July is typically the busiest day of the year for Metra... wonder if they consider this a good or bad thing.
I'm sure some crew members consider this good news. Although I can still see Metra running extra trains, it may not be as extensive as in years past, where you had a "modified" schedule in effect for a greater part of the day. In fact, some routes may not run any extra trains at all, and may simply opt to running longer sets on existing runs...