• Illinois Amtrak Service

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

• 1476 posts
  by Gilbert B Norman

Messrs. Pennsy and Stephens, as I noted previously in this discussion. the C&A was double tracked until about '69, so the ROW for such is there.

I've also noted that I'm ashamed how my railroad (Long UNP) took ARRA09 funding to rebuild an additionsl route to Chicago. I'm sure if the double track were restored, freight and passenger could peacefully coexist.
  by eolesen

You really expect UP to simply give up the more direct line to STL, plus any local traffic they might have in Springfield, Normal, Pontiac, etc? What's the incentive for them?

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

by Gilbert B Norman

No I don't Mr. Olesen; after all they own it. Further, and any of the others - C&EI (UP), WAB(NS), or IC(CN) routes are circuitous compared to the C&A (GM&O, ICG, CM&W, SP, UP).

But I hold it was wrong was to take Federal Funds, intended for improvement of passenger train service, to rebuild this line - and throwing "a lot of show" but little substance.

disclaimer (again): author long UNP
Last edited by Gilbert B Norman on Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
  by eolesen

To be fair, it was the State took the money and asked UP to do the upgrades, and just another example of their willingness to engage in boondoggles of grandeur that are little more than castles made of canvas and wood...

It's also safe to say UP really couldn't say no without appearing to be a bad host, and risk pissing off the government who happens to hold the Great Sword of Regulatory Power over them...
  by Backshophoss

This was the route that was first done with concrete ties that were defective from the plant,UP and the manufacturer paid to replace all the defective ties.
  by Gilbert B Norman

Observed:

380(24)

SC-44, A-I Cafe. A-I Coach, 3 Horizon Coaches.

Apparently the consist has grown by one car - and for half as many trains.

No wonder the TV News crews have seen no need to visit CUS this year.