Railroad Forums 

• IHC Passenger Cars

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1219611  by Bigt

From a previous post, I know that the company IHC ceased operations after its
owner passed. My question is this: did IHC produce it own passenger cars and other
equipment, or, did they have it produced overseas? If produced by IHC, what happened
to the production equipment? Anyone producing these cars now, or, have plans to ?
They are sorely missed by this modeler! They were a quality item at an affordable
price, and, lent themselves to kitbashing, etc. Anyone know? Thanks.
 #1219642  by Backshophoss

Most of the AHM/IHC models were done in Europe,Rivarossi was the largest supplier/vendor,with others in
Yugoslavia, IHC did 1 known run in China,never delivered stateside till 1 of Walters buyers found this run stashed in a warehouse
around 2010/11,and got them cheap,sold at $10.98 at most shops.(production # 1108 was on the box end flap)
That was the last "new" IHC cars. :(
 #1224638  by Montrealrail1

I still got 3 IHC passenger cars and I know where still get some IHC pasengers sets,I replaced all of my IHC cars by Rapido Trains passengers cars..
But,I kept 3 of them,all the rest,I sold them and I got a very nice offer,100$ for 6 cars,I accepted the deals cause I was getting them since many years..
Con-Cor cars are almost the same kind,cause they builted by the same way..
there's my set of IHC VIA cars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWKQVr8BOSM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good things..
take very sharped curves and interior can be added..
available in many railroad manes

bad things..
Not prototype and almost no details,hard to convert to kadee couplers..
28 inches plastic wheels,too small wheels
too light,no weight in.
 #1224647  by Backshophoss

The AHM/IHC cars became the best cars to modify to prototype cars, and were reasonable priced as well.
Putting in KD-5's can be a challange untill you figure out a way to body mount them,wheelset swapouts were the norm.
Car weighting could be done by dropping in split shot into the openings in the floor where the equipment boxes were
molded in and still install an interior.
The biggest drawback was the truck mounted couplers as they came from the factory.
 #1229897  by ApproachMedium

These cars are one of the most rewarding cars to buy on the market today. They can be often had for 10 bucks or less, run very well when converted with Kadees and metal wheels, and look pretty good. Friends have added interiors, painted them inside and added lights and figures. The results are stunning. Its no MTH but its a fraction of the price and half the headaches of the more expensive Walthers models.
 #1229916  by Ken S.

I still keep one of the HW Observations on my layout as a PV/Business Car. It's also the only IHC car I ever bought the interior kit for. I would have bought the lighting kit, but the car is usually coupled to Amfleet or Horizon cars.