Railroad Forums 

• If you could restore a defunct Amtrak route

• Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.
Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, mtuandrew, Tadman

#1595318  by BandA

The Inland Regionals are almost certain to reappear. The Vermonter is more than likely going to be extended back to the Montrealer, assuming the Canadians co-operate.

Maine keeps wanting thru-service to NY like the pre-Amtrak State of Maine, but track speeds are not competitive with interstates. NH wants their (pre-Amtrak and 1980 MBTA) service to Concord - demand was there in the Before Covid Time but without a state income tax there is now way to subsidize it.

I think they should reinstate The Cape Codder.
 #1595494  by R36 Combine Coach

BandA wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:24 am The Vermonter is more than likely going to be extended back to the Montrealer, assuming the Canadians co-operate.

NH wants their (pre-Amtrak and 1980 MBTA) service to Concord.

I think they should reinstate The Cape Codder.
The Codder has already been reincarnated, to some degree as the Flyer, but without a NY connection.

I know much of the B&M passenger service was cut circa 1965 since certain routes were not covered by MBTA
subsidy. Yet Concord hung on with one AM/PM commuter round trip. Service to Dover also continued post-
MBTA (1965).

Will the Montrealer be back to the overnighter or be a day service?
 #1595504  by mbrproductions

NH wants their (pre-Amtrak and 1980 MBTA) service to Concord - demand was there in the Before Covid Time but without a state income tax there is now way to subsidize it.
There is the property tax though, which is very high in NH. That HB 1432 bill that recently passed the NH House is the only thing that is threatening this project as of now, it is now up to the Senate to stop it from becoming law. For the passenger rail in NH itself, I would call for MBTA Commuter Rail service to Manchester and Amtrak to Lincoln, although the latter is unlikely as Amtrak only has plans of going as far as Concord.
 #1595587  by BandA

Whether a revived Cape Codder runs from NYP or PVD, or you have to take the NEC to Boston and switch to an MBTA Cape Flyer isn't that important. But it needs to run at least daily in-season. Going east from PVD, the tracks are probably very slow at present. Maybe a Thruway bus should be used to seed demand.

As for BOS-Concord NH or BOS-Dover NH, those were never Amtrak or MBTA (except for the 1980 MBTA pilot service), didn't make it to A-day. NH is not going to totally overhaul their tax system just to fund a train.