Railroad Forums 

• If you could change one thing on your Loco...

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#1389329  by Allen Hazen

I think microwave ovens have been standard equipment in the cabs of Australian diesel locomotives for some time now. (Australian practice pus more emphasis, I think, on employee safety and comfort than American does.)
 #1389352  by DutchRailnut

only on long haul ore trains, the engineers is in seat for 8 or more hours non stop and by himself, it never happens in USA.
 #1391254  by RussNelson

Y'know, if they didn't use pooled power, but instead you were in the same loco for every trip, I'll bet that engineers would start customizing "their" power with better seats (like the ones truckers use), heater strips, a microwave and minifridge, and yes, a clean toilet.
 #1399846  by Engineer Spike

Actually CN does have microwave ovens in the engines. They also have hot plate burners too. CPR has hotplates too. It is handy, since we get a meal allowance, instead of a meal break. On our 240 mile run, it is handy to be able to have more than just a sandwich.

I like the idea of being able to isolate units from the leader. Conrail had this kind of system. They could save fuel, and run the leader wide open on the flat, but save time, by putting extra power on line for the hills.

The newer units can show how the trailing power is loading. This is handy because it lets the engineer know if there is a problem, without goin back to check. I don't like crossing between units..
 #1408264  by GSC

The seat. It swivels, but has no back-and-forth or up-and-down adjustments. Air suspension in the seat would be nice too.

I need the back-and-forth adjustment because my long legs and knees hit the brake stand piping all the time.
 #1536823  by Engineer Spike

The seat problem must be because the carrier seat specifications. My company uses cloth seats with forward, back, up and down adjustments. They were using air seats until the last few orders. The first round of air seats had no shocks. On jointed rail they would pick up a bounce frequency, which corresponded with the joints.