Railroad Forums 

• Identify this locomotive? (Alco RS-11 by Mehano)

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1202934  by Snowmojoe

I was wondering if someone could help me identify what kind of locomotive this is. I am leaning towards a GP7, but comparing photos with real GP7s online I have very little faith in that. I'm also dreadful at site-id'ing locomotives, so there's that.

I know it was made by Mehano, and it's HO Scale. Norfolk Southern's roster doesn't include any GP7s anymore and searching for "Norfolk Southern 2880" on the net brings up photos of a low-nose Ex-Conrail GP-38 that I guess is now numbered NS 2880. Obviously I realize that the model doesn't necessarily have a legit road number. Searching on a couple different Norfolk Southern models made by other manufacturers, their road numbers didn't cross either.

If anyone could offer up an opinion, I'd appreciate it.

#1202947  by Marty Feldner

To start, not EMD- it's an Alco; looks to be an RS-11. (And as a point of information, model road numbers ain't the only thing that might not be legitimate; most manufacturers were notorious, especially in that era, for 'fantasy' roads that never had a particular model of locomotive.)
 #1202950  by Eliphaz

yes, its an Alco RS-11. Not only is the road number fictitious, NS never operated any RS-11s!
The Norfolk and Western had many, but they were all gone before the 1982 NS merger.
 #1202969  by Snowmojoe

Heh... I told you I was terrible at this. But the single round fan on top of the back of the long was the one detail I couldn't get past (even me).

I have been running across many examples of models that never operated. I came across two Alco C-628s that are factory painted in NYS&W colors, and they certainly never operated any C-628s.

Anyway, thank you very much guys. Much appreciated.
 #1203247  by Desertdweller

The late 1960's and 1970's seem to have been the worst era for this kind of thing. Virtually all Diesel locomotive models were offered in Santa Fe warbonnet. That is what the public expected model railroad locomotives to look like (thanks, Lionel).

Sometimes this led to interesting "near-misses".
AHM C-liner cabs in Santa Fe warbonnet (wrong, but Santa Fe had Erie-Builts that resembled them).
Rivarossi E-8's in NP colors (looked good, but NP didn't own any).
Con-Cor N-scale units of all types in anyone's color schemes.

I had an AHM C-liner that was painted PC: Black with a green and red worm herald. But underneath that black paint, was a full NH paint job!. Apparently, some NH units were pulled off the line at the factory and repainted PC.

One of my favorite railroads was the CB&Q. It was the subject of two "near misses".
CB&Q had two primary color schemes for F-units. Passenger units were silver (or stainless steel) with narrow stripes on the nose (to simulate the windows on the shovel-nose units). Most CB&Q passenger units were E's, but they did have some passenger F's.
The other CB&Q F's were freight power. They were painted light gray with a large wrap-around oval red shield on the nose.

Back then, manufacturers had a hard time getting this right. Tyco made an HO CB&Q F-unit (F9) with the correct freight markings, but the loco was painted silver, not gray. Close, but no cigar.
Athern was the most creative. They built a CB&Q F-7, with markings for a freight unit. They got that much right. But the colors they chose for that unit were the (then) recently adapted new freight colors of red, white, and gray. A much darker gray than the F's really used in passenger service, which was almost an off-white. So they had F-7's (A's and B's) in the colorful paint colors used on GP-20's and 30's.
Although this was wrong, they didn't stop there. They produced a whole set of CB&Q passenger cars, all in the pretty red-white-grey colors that never were. The actual CB&Q passenger cars were stainless steel, solid silver. The silver passenger units were painted to harmonize with the trains.

Les
 #1209291  by Petz

As far as i remember the Mehano locomotive had been distributed in the USA by Model Power.
Many years ago i had bought the Burlington Northern - version of this loco via Walthers. I had added a flywheel to the motor to get a smoother running locomotive plus european couplers and it´s still in use...:wink:
 #1220345  by scharnhorst

Norfolk Southern unit 2880 is listed as a GP38. Which this unit has been off the roster for a long time. The CRN Marks below the cab are correct but the unit being used we all agree is wrong. On the Norfolk & Western unit 2880 would have been an ALCO RS36.
http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ns/ns2880abn.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the cab number 2880 was reused again by Norfolk Southern on former Conrail GP38 unit 7604
http://www.nslocos.com/ns2880.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a web site that has all the NS units listed along with a roster.
http://www.nslocos.com/main.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1221401  by toptrain

It was originally made by Varney, a RS11. Later after Varney, Life like, then AHM released it. The last updated models of this engine were made by Mahano for IHC. Made for the toy train market it was also released in sets by the companies listed. This model had a very long life.
toptrain