Railroad Forums 

• Identify the folks in this photo?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#937011  by Otto Vondrak

Photo is stamped October 1980. Looks like Walter Rich at right. I am told fellow in center is Bruce VanWyckem, fellow on right is Joe Senschyhn. Would this be the inspection trip when Rich was considering purchase of the NYSW? Any details appreciated.

-otto-
Attachments:
(119.1 KiB) Downloaded 6336 times
 #937171  by dano23

Doing some research for something unrelated, and thumbing through old magazines the date is actually September 24, 1980. The power was the 1800, DO Thrall all-door boxcar 29007 with a generator in it, CACV 4 Otsego Lake (the coach that's now by the Wotrendyke Station) and CACV 5 Great Sacandaga (the ex CB&Q vista dome.) As an aside, according to the article the big fanfare trip was on October 31st, but the consist was different and the order of the cars does not correspond with the provided picture here.

From the Jan-Feb 1981 Block Line which describes the background of the picture: "The return trip did not begin until 3:00PM because the Butler Fire Department had to be called to refill the water tanks on the heavy-weight obs."

Also of interest for you Otto.."From Little Ferry to North Hawthorne, the front platform was occupied by a number of people including Hal Carstens of Railfan and Railroad Magazine. At North Hawthorne most of the riders left the front walkway for the comfort of the passenger cars. All but Hal Carstens! He remained on the front of the 1800 for the entire westbound leg of the trip."

As far as the people, yes that's Joe Senchyshyn. The middle one I'm not sure about. Not sure if "Bruce VanWyckem" is somebody assuming its Bruce Van Wyk that was CMO of the NYSWTHS but that is not him if the case.
 #1019633  by NaDspr

That certainly does NOT look like Joe Senchyshyn on the right to me. Joe came from Conrail in Selkirk to the NYS&W in the fall of 1985. The caption says this picture was taken in 1980. I don't know who it is. Walt Rich is on the left. That is for sure.
 #1022877  by wbrennan49

Otto, I beleive the fellow in the middle with blonde hair is Jim Howarth, currently a VP of Business Development at NYSW.

He is a fraternity brother of mine from Oneonta State.

Bill Brennan