Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1599656  by NYR99

Lower Montauk branch, at the east end of Richmond Hill station, looking east with the J/Z subway overhead.
 #1599724  by krispy

Big intersection there, Myrtle, Lefferts, and behind the photographer, Hillside Aves. The old Richmond Hill station was behind the photographers, and at one point there was an old rotting metal staircase that was locked up (RR lock so we could use it) and I would use it when I could bum a ride off of a CE, etc. The bridge over Lefferts was frequently stuck beneath despite the biggest signage I've seen, and I remember coming out of either Jahn's or the Diner and seeing a tractor trailer wedged beneath, with the driver furiously venting his tires with a p.o.'ed NYPD cop (102 pct. was nearby) watching. I whipped out my phone to call Jay and at that time both 560 and 555 went whistling through overhead. Loved the looks on the onlooker's faces when both diesels went through at the same time.

Go a little farther back where Hillside curves through and it was truly like stepping back in time, between the subway over the Lower Montauk, and old school buildings, a theater and some excellent restaurants, it was a scene straight out of the '50s.
 #1599736  by krispy

Nice! That's the west end of the old psgr station, and that would've been a great spot for photography back in the day, as they start ramping up the power to get into the hill in Forest Park. Amazing to vanish into a tunnel of trees while being in the midst of Queens.
 #1599797  by krispy

Tricky - that's got to be right before they covered over the Atlantic Branch, and elevated the Lower Montauk branch. I believed for some time the Lower Montauk (Southside RR then?) paralleled the Atlantic branch for a short period where Morris Park is now.

So, i'm guessing the photographer is standing on a side street looking at Atlantic Ave. Not sure if that person is North or South of the tracks, but there appears to be the start of station platform on the left, or a curb protecting the row. Also, there appears to be a trolley wire before the tracks (can't see the trolley tracks but they may be embedded well into the road surface). That could be near where the old Dunton station was, just prior to the huge Jamaica elevation project. Some of those streets were renamed, that could've been Washington St or Van Wyck Ave, no longer extant. Dig out an historical map, maybe the historical topo page, and look for a clearly defined crossing, rail tracks maybe paralleling a trolley. Don't think it's the old Richmond Hill station, as that was no where near Atlantic Ave until it hooked up with the Atlantic Branch.
 #1599816  by west point

nyandw wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:38 pm http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/morris ... ond%20Hill Richmond Hill

This 1911 photo indicates Atlantic Ave., Richmond Hill... Where might this have been on current maps?
For nostaliga the street ligt in the photo was just for show. Remember that those models were only good for about 20 ft radius directl uder the lamp. Around my town the lights were all series that had some kind of fuse that would allow circuit to remain continous. Would have just one wire going from fixture to fixture. Saving wire.