Railroad Forums 

• ID on this signal head?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1437944  by lvrr325

Saw this today at a flea market here in NY, with a local vendor. He didn't know where it came from though. Who had this style of signal, Erie? NKP? It weighs about 84 tons, so I couldn't pick it up to see what manufacturer might be marked on it. But it appears to have been removed and discarded with the guts inside. I don't think it could be PRR, B&O, NYC, or LV.

No idea what this kind of stuff is worth, either.
0715171637.jpg
0715171637.jpg (220.52 KiB) Viewed 4285 times
 #1437949  by Noel Weaver

I think the best one is the Nickel Plate although the Lackawanna may have had some signals of this nature.
Maybe the Lehigh Valley had some signals like this as well.
Noel Weaver
 #1437955  by smph50

Looks just like my Union Switch & Signal R2 that came off the ERIE. Bolt spacing and lens holders are the same. Sun shields are a little small though.

I agree that the NKP used these as well.

If you can roll it over, it should have one hasp on the door and inside R-Y-G 5-1/2 inch lenses, Clear 8 3/8 inch on the outside.

I'd go $200 tops if it does not have any mounting brackets for the mast.

http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/us&sr2.htm
 #1437964  by SST

smph50 wrote:Looks just like my Union Switch & Signal R2 that came off the ERIE. Bolt spacing and lens holders are the same. Sun shields are a little small though.

I agree that the NKP used these as well.

If you can roll it over, it should have one hasp on the door and inside R-Y-G 5-1/2 inch lenses, Clear 8 3/8 inch on the outside.

I'd go $200 tops if it does not have any mounting brackets for the mast.

http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/us&sr2.htm
Enjoyed your link and restoration. I believe I've driven by your home several times. I love your mailbox!
 #1437979  by lvrr325

Yep, it is a US&S unit, I checked it out today as they were loading it.

$200 was their low end, so I passed. It's too heavy for me to even move by myself.
 #1438055  by sd80mac

Had to double check with you.... 84 tons????

That's 168,000 lbs... for that piece? No pick-up vehicle can carry or tow that.
 #1438057  by Matt Langworthy

That's a good point about the weight. An Alco S1 switcher weighs 99 tons and is considerably bigger than a signal. I know a couple of folks who have signals at their respective residences. I don't think they needed any special equipment to move the signals.
 #1438067  by scottychaos

sd80mac wrote:Had to double check with you.... 84 tons????

That's 168,000 lbs... for that piece? No pick-up vehicle can carry or tow that.
https://literarydevices.net/hyperbole/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Scot
 #1438068  by sd80mac

could it be 84 lbs?

Scottychaos... nice try with Hyperbole. that doesn't fall in RR language... sorry.... gotta be accurate.. :P
 #1438102  by lvrr325

You guys try picking it up and tell me what you think it weighs.

It took two guys to put it back on the trailer and it wasn't easy for them.
 #1438107  by Matt Langworthy

If 2 guys can lift the signal (albeit with difficulty), the weight is probably hundreds of pounds.
 #1438377  by sd80mac

lvrr325 wrote:You guys try picking it up and tell me what you think it weighs.

It took two guys to put it back on the trailer and it wasn't easy for them.
obviously not 84 tons! :P :P :P

for normal 2 people who don't work out... I would say no more than 250 lbs at the most...

USPS and UPS have policy that it requires 2 people to pick up package that is 70 lbs and over.

Conductor carry new knuckles which I believe is 60 lbs. So 250 is good guess for the max. so it would be somewhere around 200 lbs for that
 #1438529  by lvrr325

Just based on the 200 lb engine block I can pick up and move if I need to, this thing has to be 300 or better.