Railroad Forums 

• IC Electric lines

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#351302  by amtrakhogger

I remember the IC had cab signal equipped mainlines until
some years back. Did or does the old IC Electric (Metra Electric)
have cab signals?

The reason I ask is I saw a pic of cab of a Highliner and with some
appliances on the left side of the control stand. Because the
pic was taken at a distance I could not make out any details.

#354865  by doepack

I'm not sure if the old IC Electric had cab signals, but when Metra took over 20 years ago, they adopted the use of block signals in certain locations, while installing CTC to remotely operate several interlockings that had once been operated by staffed towers at several different locations along the route. On Metra Electric today, CTC is used to control movements at Metra's Randolph St. terminal (now known as Millenium station), plus at the 67th St., and 115th St. interlockings along the 4-track ROW, as well as the entire main line south of 115th. Meanwhile, block signals are used at all other locations between Randolph and 115th, plus on the South Chicago and Blue Island branches...

#358202  by Tadman

I don't think the IC electric side used cab signals, because if they did the South Shore MU's would all need cab signals. I've had a few cab rides, and I never saw anything like cab signals. Also, one can view the unused engineer's controls of a vestibule through a window - that's how I always check the speed of the train while riding. I'm pretty sure I've never seen cab signal equipment that way either. Ask MikeF - he would know for sure if there was a time pre-1981 when cab signals were used.

#359290  by PRRGuy

On South shore equipment..can I say I've never seen cab signal equipment or anyplace where it was removed.. remember Tadman, once upon a time I operated on ME when I was a carman. :P