Railroad Forums 

• IC C44-9W's

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#1139682  by Jmusolf

Does anyone know if the C44-9W's were originally going to be delivered in IC colors to IC right before the CN/IC merger or were they just part of CN's order and just got the "IC" subletter to balance out the roster?
 #1142034  by CN_Hogger

Since they were delivered in 2004, I highly doubt that they were to be delivered in IC colors...
 #1142203  by Jmusolf

CN_Hogger wrote:Since they were delivered in 2004, I highly doubt that they were to be delivered in IC colors...
Ah I figured. I thought they were delivered in the late 90s so there was a chance they could've been part of IC's order that way. Thanks for clearing that up! :)
 #1178952  by Deval

They were ordered to comply with an old contract for the IC. I can't remember the specifics, but a certain percentage of IC engines must have air conditioning. The IC C44-9Ws are CN's only Dash 9 locomotives ordered with air conditioning.