• I finally found it! A picture of Vulcan Tower

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in the American Midwest, including Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Kansas. For questions specific to a railroad company, please seek the appropriate forum.

Moderator: railohio

by Rabscuttle

Some of you may remember in the old boards that I posted some aerial photographs of the Dorr/Westwood area in Toledo. The pictures were taken during the 1940s and were significant in that they showed Vulcan Tower where the Toledo Terminal Railroad crossed the Old Road.

I had always wanted to know more about Vulcan Tower. Where exactly it was located, when it was built and when it was demolished. Having known the area since I was 10 years old, I was always intrigued by the fact that an interlocking tower once stood on the spot where I played during my dad's Owens-Illinois softball games during the 1970s. (You may have recalled the story about me and my brother trying to catch that baby rabbit right by the diamond)

The birds'eye photos showed the interlocking tower in relation to the diamond, so that helped, but I always wanted a good front elevation shot of the building. One member of this forum said he had a picture, but I was never able to track him down after the switchover, so those old aerial photos remained the only pictures I was able to find of Vulcan.

But I went to the train show today at the Lucas County Rec Center and avid railroad photographer Bob Lorenz had one in his stack of 8 X 10 black and white reproductions. So I bought it, scanned it and posted in below. (He has Vickers Tower too, but not with him that day. He promised to blow one up and bring it to the train show next spring.)

The view below is looking northwest, with the Dorr/Westwood intersection behind you. The tower was located at the Northeast corner of the diamond.

For a full size image, click below:
http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data/52 ... wer_1a.jpg

Look at those windows and the nice "fishscale" siding. They don't make buildings like that anymore. I would have loved to been the guy that controlled the switches out of this building when this whole area was still part of Adams Township and unsullied by the gaudy looking University buildings in the background.

by matt

Spectacular. I recall your story from the old forums, when the fields went right up the the diamonds.

When was the tower removed?

You mention Owen's Illinois which leads me to ask you about another thread we have been working on. A spur came off of the TT north of Door and went to a place called Owens Illinois Hilfinger. Do you know anything about this place and how it relates to today's OI?.

Kevin from these forums also had some dealings with Bob Lorenz today, I just bought some videos. Sounds like our board was well represented at the show today.

Great find Drew.

by Rabscuttle

matt wrote:Spectacular. I recall your story from the old forums, when the fields went right up the the diamonds.

When was the tower removed?

You mention Owen's Illinois which leads me to ask you about another thread we have been working on. A spur came off of the TT north of Door and went to a place called Owens Illinois Hilfinger. Do you know anything about this place and how it relates to today's OI?.

Great find Drew.
Matt,

I'll look at my old maps and see what I can find out.
  by eddiebear

Rabscuttle: Maybe you would have liked to have been the guy who worked there, but I hope you are good and strong. All those pipe rods are connected to switches, etc. and you'd have to be able to throw levers that moved many pounds of steel for those farthest from the tower.

by WNYRailfan

Thanks for posting the picture of Vulcan tower. What box of pics was that in on Bob Lorenz's table? I spent most of my time in the NKP and depot boxes. If I knew that was vulcan tower, I would have picked up that one myself. Well I guess I'll have to contact Mr. Lorenz myself. (He lives in Fremont).

Does anyone else have any pictures of the tower? I would sure like to see a picture angled in such a way to see which UT buildings were standing at that time.

Vulcan Jct was the Jct between the TT, NYC, and TA&W right?

by matt

Yep, that's the junction. The TA&W I don't believe crossed the TT, rather it joined the TT in a southward direction.

by Rabscuttle

WNYRailfan wrote:Thanks for posting the picture of Vulcan tower. What box of pics was that in on Bob Lorenz's table? I spent most of my time in the NKP and depot boxes. If I knew that was vulcan tower, I would have picked up that one myself. Well I guess I'll have to contact Mr. Lorenz myself. (He lives in Fremont).

Does anyone else have any pictures of the tower? I would sure like to see a picture angled in such a way to see which UT buildings were standing at that time.

Vulcan Jct was the Jct between the TT, NYC, and TA&W right?
Here are a couple of pictures that I posted in the old forum:

This view is to the northwest with the UT glassbowl and U-Hall in the distance.
Vulcan Tower is in the middle left of the photo.

This view is generally to the northeast. Vulcan is in the foreground, with the O-I
property and Bancroft Hills/Lawndale neighborhoods beyond.

Here are the full size images of the above photos.
http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data/528/94Vulcan_3.jpg
http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/data/528/94Vulcan_1.jpg