• Hypothetical Electric Locomotive

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
  by 35dtmrs92

If the Cross-Harbor Rail Tunnel to connect Bayonne with Bay Ridge was built and electrified, what do we suppose NS would choose as its electric motive power?

My guess goes to a derivative of a heavy duty loco like the Italian E656 Caimano.

by jlr3266

With the spacing between trains and a modern ventilation system, diesels would be okay in the tunnel.

by General

The norfolk would never invest in electric locomotives, especially for use on just one line where a diesel will work just fine. any train going through this tunnel, if it ever gets built will most likely be operated by shared assets. why would they electrify this line?

by Tadman

Further, there is a glut of E60's in North America, not being used - there's a boatload of them that were hardly used in Mexico, and they are now floating aroung backlots of Texas and Mexico. I can't see bringing in european equipment when we have uber-cheap surplus units here.

by mtuandrew

I suspect they'd be dual-mode locomotives if they were to go for electrics, something like a P32DM without the cowl.