Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#1098986  by 25Hz

I don't blame them. Out of all the key transport systems in the region, they are by far the most vulnerable. They have mostly underground stations, and a large part of their ROW and their large maintenance facility is perched right on the banks of a river that will most likely flood. The station in hoboken will likely flood, and pavonia/newport may also flood.
 #1099321  by lirr42

The Port Authority updated it's website this morning to say that PATH service will be suspended until further notice.

(The Holland and Brooklyn/Battery Tunnels will be closing as of 2pm today as well)
 #1099622  by Backshophoss

A cropped version of that shot was shown on the Weather Channel.
It will take some time to pump the water out.:(
 #1099735  by JasW

Yeah, that's definitely legit and not a photoshop job using a movie still -- it's water rushing down the elevator shaft.
 #1099884  by 25Hz

Wow.

Least it gets some semblance of a cleaning.

Too soon? :x
 #1100045  by Backshophoss

Salt water will only hurt PATH more,it will take time to remove the salt residue fom all electronics and relays.:(
 #1100264  by JasW

I wonder how the NWK-JSQ tracks fared. The Kearny Connection is supposedly washed out, so I would guess the PATH tracks alongside took some kind of hit.
 #1100333  by 25Hz

JasW wrote:I wonder how the NWK-JSQ tracks fared. The Kearny Connection is supposedly washed out, so I would guess the PATH tracks alongside took some kind of hit.
After a storm few years ago there was a clear line of once floating debris deposited across both tracks there near the underpass. I can't imagine what it looks like now.

Clearly PATH is not going to be fully operational for some time.
 #1101017  by 25Hz

Oh boy.
 #1101019  by 25Hz

Anyone have any info on pavonia/newport, or exchange place? Did the flood doors work as intended?
 #1101431  by 25Hz

I have to say it. The lack of details from the PA on how exactly the storm impacted their system, is concerning.

I think we're looking at weeks before full restoration.

They say flooding in tunnels and multiple stations. I'm guessing that would be newport, hoboken, and exchange place, the tunnels between them and out towards grove street, and possibly christopher street.

Any word on the tracks along the river? What about the maintenance facility?
 #1101510  by djlu

What PATH should do is have a map of the system on their website and put a green, yellow and red flag next to each station and interconnecting pqth.

They should then have a brief explanation on the yellow and red saying things like flooded being pumped out or switches being checked.

It should be updated at least twice a day.

Then people could at least see progress.