Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#633049  by Fan Railer

i know this is a noob question, but does anyone know exactly what they are doing? (third rail cover replacement, cbtc upgrades?)
 #633092  by Kaback9

Probably not the place, but what is what looks like an MN set doing all the way out there?
 #633199  by Kurt

Kaback9 wrote:Probably not the place, but what is what looks like an MN set doing all the way out there?
Yes, it is a Metro North M7a on the far left (blue front). Warranty work performed there by Bombardier.
 #633621  by gjk1716

Fan Railer,

That's Track Construction replacing the entire track, including the walkways and contact rails. Those are panel cranes on the work trains, which can handle heavier loads. The street crane on the left has a "spider" attached to it, consisting of hooks and chains, which is used to lift 39' sections of track "panels."

G
 #634581  by Fan Railer

gjk1716 wrote:Fan Railer,

That's Track Construction replacing the entire track, including the walkways and contact rails. Those are panel cranes on the work trains, which can handle heavier loads. The street crane on the left has a "spider" attached to it, consisting of hooks and chains, which is used to lift 39' sections of track "panels."

G
well, at least it's something important. not just third rail cover replacements that saw the entire express service canceled last time i was on the 7 (although i do have to say they are nice and white for the first few months afterwards).
 #635152  by Head-end View

Speaking of "express service cancelled": A couple of times in recent months I went to ride the #7 Express on weekdays between 11AM and 1PM and there were no expresses running. The MTA website says there is express service at that time of day and it shows no service advisories for weekdays on that line. But I did see expresses after 3PM. Have they suspended mid-day service and just not bothered to post the advisory on their own website? :(
 #635567  by gjk1716

Head-end View wrote:Speaking of "express service cancelled": A couple of times in recent months I went to ride the #7 Express on weekdays between 11AM and 1PM and there were no expresses running. The MTA website says there is express service at that time of day and it shows no service advisories for weekdays on that line. But I did see expresses after 3PM. Have they suspended mid-day service and just not bothered to post the advisory on their own website? :(
Head-end View,

I resigned from NYCT last August after 13 years of service. I won't bash the place, but there are some communication problems between departments, and occasionally within the departments.

G
 #636471  by Fan Railer

Head-end View wrote:Speaking of "express service cancelled": A couple of times in recent months I went to ride the #7 Express on weekdays between 11AM and 1PM and there were no expresses running. The MTA website says there is express service at that time of day and it shows no service advisories for weekdays on that line. But I did see expresses after 3PM. Have they suspended mid-day service and just not bothered to post the advisory on their own website? :(
it is reasonable though, since they do need some down time to wait for the last train to finish it's express run, then turn it around and start express in the opposite direction.
 #636600  by Head-end View

Fan Railer, your point seems logical, but the TA's own schedule says otherwise. According to the official website, the last Manhattan-bound express leaves Flushing at 12:09PM arriving at Times Sq. at 12:36. And the first Flushing-bound express leaves Times Sq. at 12:24 arriving Flushing at 12:55. It appears they sometimes suspend expresss service during the mid-day hours for track work, and don't advertise it. As I was standing on the Grand Central platform around 12 Noon, the electric signs were saying that there is express service, this time of day. But every train coming thru was marked as a local. No way to run a railroad............ :(
 #636689  by Head-end View

Well, well, well! Guess what! This morning they have the advisory posted on the MTA's website! Mid-day express service making local stops between certain stations between 10AM and 3PM for the week of Feb. 9th thru 13th. Looks like a little complaining did some good. Who would have thought? :-D
 #636720  by Kamen Rider

Head-end View wrote:Fan Railer, your point seems logical, but the TA's own schedule says otherwise. According to the official website, the last Manhattan-bound express leaves Flushing at 12:09PM arriving at Times Sq. at 12:36. And the first Flushing-bound express leaves Times Sq. at 12:24 arriving Flushing at 12:55. It appears they sometimes suspend expresss service during the mid-day hours for track work, and don't advertise it. As I was standing on the Grand Central platform around 12 Noon, the electric signs were saying that there is express service, this time of day. But every train coming thru was marked as a local. No way to run a railroad............ :(
page two of every timetable the TA puts out says :Information in this timetable is subject to change without notice.