Railroad Forums 

• Hungerford-Smith Spur Victor, NY

• Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.
Discussion related to the Lehigh Valley Railroad and predecessors for the period 1846-1976. Originally incorporated as the Delaware, Lehigh, Schuylkill and Susquehanna Railroad Company.

Moderator: scottychaos

#628564  by TB Diamond

Is the old Hungerford-Smith spur on the west side of Victor still intact? This was put in service in 1963 and came off the LVRR just west of the School Street grade crossing. Walked the spur several years ago and it remained intact at the time but disconnected from the ONCT. CVS eventually took over the old Hungerford-Smith building and utilized it as a regional warehouse. So far as I know, they never used the spur for delivery of material. A chain link fence cut across the spur about 100' from the warehouse when I was there.
 #628592  by BR&P

The spur is still there, but as you mention the switch was removed (in 1978 or early '79). Also, the track inside the building was covered over with concrete to make more indoor room - for all practical purposes the track does not go in the building.

On two separate occasions during ONCT's life, potential customers expressed interest in the track, and ONCT people cleared the entire spur of down trees and brush - no small feat I can assure you! Obviously, neither effort was successful in terms of actually getting traffic.

It would be an interesting track to operate, as it has fairly tight curvature, and sits up on a fill through a swamp. Mosquito city in the summertime, and not a place you want to go on the ground any time of year! Obviously the rails are fine, but by now it would require probably 75% tie replacement before use.
 #628937  by TB Diamond

BR&P:

Thank you for the information. When I walked the spur there were many trees laying across the rails, one of which was probably a good 12" in diameter, if not more. BTW, my walk took place in October, after the bulk of those pesky 'skiters had laid up for the winter.