Railroad Forums 

• How to display rollsigns

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#477641  by mattster

I have a rather large rollsign in my apartment and I have it hanging with metal clips, but this system isn't all that great and the sign is never hanging flat. Any ideas of how to hang it? A frame would be too expensive/heavy/fragile so that's out.

#477950  by Disney Guy

I would leave it the way it is, floor to ceiling.

#487740  by Otto Vondrak

If you dont want to go with expensive professional framing, try this...

1) Get a piece of smooth birch plywood, have your local lumber yard cut it to size. (how tall is your rollsign? plywood generally comes in 4x8 sheets)

2) Get a piece of smooth plastic or plexiglass (comes in 4x8 sheets, just like the plywood)

3) You're going to make a sandwich- you'll want to drill holes through the plastic and the plywood- make sure you leave enough room around the edges so you're not drilling through your rollsign. Then use bolts. washers and wingnuts to fasten all three together.

Now your roll sign is protected and you can hang it anywhere.

-otto-

#516550  by 3rdrail

Also, Matt, there is at least one guy on Ebay who regularly sells his extra rollsign inner frames (he makes two dimensional displays with the cloth and doesn't use them). I have a S F Muni rollsign that came with the inner frame. It was very easy to encase it with plywood, making a glass window and hole for the turn handle to stick out of. Then I painted it Muni green. I hung a socket, bulb, and cord in it, so it lights up inside and looks great ! You'd think that the unit came straight out of an "Iron Monster" ! These frames are relatively cheap without the sign in them. Just make sure that you get the correct size frame (comes with rollers, etc) for your sign. For my money, this looks a heck of a lot better than a two dimensional sign, and if you've got a multiple destinationed sign, you can change the destinations from time to time.