Railroad Forums 

• How many locos still in MILW paint?

• Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html
Discussion relating to the past and present operations of CPR. Official web site can be found here: CPKCR.com. Includes Kansas City Southern. There is also a KCS sub-forum for prior operations: kansas-city-southern-and-affiliates-f153.html

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#130444  by ENR3870

AmtrakFan wrote:Some SD60's Not the Wide Cab Variety are left in Soo Paint
All the SOO SD60's are in SOO Paint, either the red/white paint job or the all red paint job.

#133832  by Milwaukee_F40C

There are or were a few rusted MILW switchers around Chicago, I have seen them switching yards and way freights, and I remember seeing one go through Elgin by itself with no train. Also in the Bensenville yard there is a pair of what look like MILW SD40's in bad shape, they are always in the same spot.

#155915  by Tadman

Lately I've been seeing the CP run-thru power in Michigan on CSX/PM being Soo SD60's instead of the usual CP units. It's a throwback to the mid-90's when runthru power was always Soo. Also, there is an MP15 stationed at the yard off the Kennedy Expy in Chicago just south of North Avenue in bandit MILW paint, with Soo numbers and reporting marks.

#155970  by trainmaster_1

Rumour has it two SOO SD60's 6009 & 6030 are going to be repaired & repainted into the beaver scheme.......both SD60's were damaged in a grade crossing accident in Howell Michigan with a semi carrying metal or scrap metal......

#479786  by CNW1212

I love still being able to see unpatched Soo locomotives, because CP doesn't really care if they're patched or not. Only on a few Soo SD60s i've seen that they put "Owned by Canadian Pacific" under the cab. Seeing a Soo locomotive leading a CP train is a great treat to see. Sucks that CP is selling off a bunch of Soo's SD60s. :(

#504207  by Milwaukeeroad

Two weeks ago CPRs Muskego yard was filled with all SOO paint. If I didn't know better I would have thought SOOLINE was alive and well. Also CP uses Mostly SOO OR an old Milwaukee unit to switch and do transfers with the UP at Mitchell Yard.

#505518  by lock4244

AmtrakFan wrote:Some SD60's Not the Wide Cab Variety are left in Soo Paint
No SOO SD60 has ever been repainted into CP paint. As of Feb 2008, SOO 6000-6020 are off the roster, but SOO 6021-6062 are still active on CP and all are in SOO paint, including the 5 SD60M's.

Given how long the SD60 fleet has been untouched by CP, they will likely all end their CP days in SOO paint.
 #508978  by Death Star

Komachi wrote:Living here in Southeastern Minnesota, I sometimes go to Winona and LaCrosse, Wisconsin every once and a while and every now and again I catch glimpse of red and white (I've heard it described as a light grey...) SOO SD units (saw one last February, actually) and an elusive "bandit" GP unit (a GP-38, I believe) running on the CP tracks that parallel the Mississippi River. Been a while since I've seen them, so I don't remember unit numbers...
I live in La Crosse and the high school I went to was right next CP's former Milwaukee Road Yard. Been a year since I went to high school but I remember seeing lots of "bandits" in the yard and a few candy apple red units too. ALong with the red/white hockey stick scheme.

Re:

#568671  by F40CFan

Milwaukee_F40C wrote:There are or were a few rusted MILW switchers around Chicago, I have seen them switching yards and way freights, and I remember seeing one go through Elgin by itself with no train. Also in the Bensenville yard there is a pair of what look like MILW SD40's in bad shape, they are always in the same spot.
There are at least 3 GP40s (2032, 2064 and I'm not sure of the last one) and at least 2 MP15ACs still in orange and black. One of the GPs was a Hiawatha unit. Some of the Soo black paint is wearing off and you can begin to see faint Milwaukee Road lettering.

CP said they were going to do an heritage MILW unit. It would be nice if they would take the remaining "pumpkins" and repaint them in their original scheme. Then they could work around Bensenville yard where they would be appreciated.
 #568707  by SooLineRob

F40CFan wrote:
There are at least 3 GP40s (2032, 2064 and I'm not sure of the last one)...
 #568728  by F40CFan

Thank you.
 #574569  by Ironman

We've got the white Soo SD-60's all over the place here. Last week, there were 3 of them hooked up in Selkirk. Another one even made it out on the B&A a few times as a trailing unit.
 #575037  by SooLineRob

If I remember correctly,

SOO 6000 to SOO 6020, inclusive, were sold/returned to lessor. No longer on CP Railway's roster.

SOO 6021 to SOO 6062 roster may have "holes" in it with regards to still owned/leased/operated by CP Rail. Many SOO SD60's are on lease to other railways as well as units sold/returned to lessor.

Best way to identify the 6021-6062's status is check the reporting marks on the sides of the cab. Even though you may see a red and white "SOO" unit (e.g., the 6040 with SOO still on the side carbody), check for reporting marks such as HLCX, GCFX, et cetera under the cab windows. That would make the unit the HLCX 6040, even with the big SOO on the side, and no longer a CP unit. If you see the all red SOO 6056, still in full SOO paint and , then it's most likely still a CP unit running off horsepower hours or "short term" leased to another company.

I don't have any concrete info with regards to the 6021-6062 status on CP's roster. I do recall CP planned to renumber the SD60's into the 6200 series to avoid conflict with CP's SD40's, but the program was cancelled account costs involved.

There are still several SOO GP38/40's in SOO paint, as well as orange and black ex-MILW GP38/40's and MP15's stencilled for SOO still running around. Again, no concrete roster available.

EDIT: Units listed below are still in orange and black paint.

2010 - 2032 - 2041 - 2057 - 2064 - 2066
Last edited by SooLineRob on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
 #575607  by F40CFan

The Scroo Line was so desparate to wipe out the Milwaukee Road identity. Thats what makes it satisfying to see that some of the old pumpkins are running around with their Milwaukee Road lettering starting to show through the patches. Now if there is any real justice, the CP will start patching the red, black and white "bird poop" Scroo Line units. Sorry if I seem so passionate, but a friend of mine worked for the Milwaukee Road and when the Soo took over, he wasn't even allowed to wear his Milwaukee Road belt buckle to work. They did their best to try and wipe out the MILW identity.
 #576686  by Komachi

** A puff of smoke and Komachi appears. He motions to his ninja minions who bring a large, steel, Milwaukee Road logo into the forum and afix it to the wall. Komachi is pleased with this. Then another puff of smoke and he vanishes. **

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D