Railroad Forums 

• How I got started at the M&E.....

• Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.
Discussion about the M&E, RVRR and SIRR lines of New Jersey, and also the Maine Eastern operation in Maine. Official web site can be found here: www.merail.com.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, cjl330, mikec

#1138125  by therudycometh

Whenever someone finds out that I work at the M&E, they always ask me how I got interested in working for a railroad. I guess it's kind of fate that I ended up at the M&E, because most of my childhood railroad memories were there....

Here's me in December of 1992 with my dad in Whippany. I'm a whopping two years old, decked out in my engineer's cap, and there's good old M&E #18 rolling around behind me. Photo by my mom.

And then here I am again (on the left), this time at age six in Altoona, PA. It's Railfest in October of 1996, and M&E #20 has yet to even be delivered to the M&E. I'm in awe at that shiny paint! Photo by my dad.

And here I am again on June 11, 2012 (age 21), touching up the paint on the lettering on M&E #19. Photo by Steve (forum member mandealco).

And so my M&E saga continues!
 #1138130  by mandealco

More nice photos Rudy, well 2 of them anyway ;-)

So you were 2 when Laura & I were last at the M&E (apart from June 2012). I would love to have your job, even un paid!!!!!!

Keep giving those 2 fine Alcos the TLC they deserve. Still want to come back for their 50th birthday.

A question about the 4204: It appears to be an ungraded unit, done by CP Rail at Angus. Several CP C-424's received Alternators from retired M-630/636s for the last few years of service. They can be distinguished by the third air tank, and the duct on top of the central air intake hatch. The third tank is required for the air start I believe, as they lost the electric start with the generator removal. Anyway, my question is, why the purchase, when M&E / RRPX sold 2 other modified CP C-424's to the WNYP? I understand the ownership similarities, but the purchase is unexpected, unless for more parts for RRPX.

Cheers
Steve
Love those Alcos
 #1138131  by therudycometh

mandealco wrote:A question about the 4204: It appears to be an ungraded unit, done by CP Rail at Angus. Several CP C-424's received Alternators from retired M-630/636s for the last few years of service. They can be distinguished by the third air tank, and the duct on top of the central air intake hatch. The third tank is required for the air start I believe, as they lost the electric start with the generator removal. Anyway, my question is, why the purchase, when M&E / RRPX sold 2 other modified CP C-424's to the WNYP? I understand the ownership similarities, but the purchase is unexpected, unless for more parts for RRPX.
Not sure what the idea with 4204 was. It's mechanically operable, but there's essentially no electronics left as RRPX purchased the engine after an aborted electronic upgrade. It'd be like having a car with no headlights, radio, windshield wipers, or gears other than neutral. That being said, it's too intact to be a parts source yet - I don't know what the plans are exactly.