Railroad Forums 

Discussion related to commuter rail and rapid transit operations in the Chicago area including the South Shore Line, Metra Rail, and Chicago Transit Authority.

Moderators: metraRI, JamesT4

#1620131  by justalurker66

I doubt they will go year round. The South Shore uses special cars for their bike trains where half the car is used for bike storage (not one or two bikes per car with the possibility that there will be no space on a particular train). The bike cars are the older single level cars that cannot be mixed with the gallery cars.

The "certain stations" is improving. Construction is limiting bikes to East Chicago and west this year. When the double track project wraps up next summer will have high level bike friendly platforms at nearly every station. (ADA friendly too for wheelchairs and other mobility impaired. Stroller and wheeled suitcase friendly too. - Mind the gap.)
 #1635132  by Tadman

I used to ride Divvy bikes a lot when I lived in the city, they were really convenient. Seems like a Divvy-NICTD pass would make a lot more sense than blocking half a railroad car. Could also have Divvy bikes in places like East Chicago or Michigan City for commuters. I rode them all winter and it wasn't bad.