Railroad Forums 

• How do YOU feel about Ranks?

• General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.
General discussion about the RAILROAD.NET site, forums, or content ONLY. Please do not post your general railroading questions, please choose an appropriate forum. For help using the site, please post in the Help Using RAILROAD.NET Forum.

Moderator: Jeff Smith

Do you like post-based ranks?

Yes
50%
No
50%
 #11574  by chnaus

This whole idea is wRANK.

Drop the Ebayisms ??

Forget the crap.

Stop wasting space on the servers or it will crash again.

Clean up the pages and dispatch all the extraneous junk.

The single goal of this site is to promote the exchange of information.

By the count of members, since coming back online it appears that there are many old users that have not reregistered and quite a few of the ,once busy, subjects are strangely quiet.

Since the sites return this is the first time that I scrolled down to discover this forum and I think you would get more replies here if it were located at the top. Or was this intended ??

The only improvement I would ask for, is to find a way to get all posts checked for spelling before they are displayed. It is easy to spot those who spent most of their time sleeping thru English class.

#11649  by Engineer

I do agree the primary objective of this site is to exchange information, but I see it more as an "online community" than some plethora of pages with train sightings or technical questions....
BTW, I have yet to find a spell checker that will handle terms such as NJT or SD80MAC without suggesting some other correctly spelled word as the alternative. Using spellcheck on my computer, it politely informs me that I must of meant the word nut instead of NJT. I don't think there is really a feasible spell checker to handle a railroad vocabulary at this time.
I sleepd in Inglish klass end I think i ken spell wurdz grate......

#11795  by Engineer

LOL! Good eye Alan!!!

#11846  by Otto Vondrak

chnaus- one possible explanation is that many of the old accounts on railroad.net were bogus, or multiple screennames attributed to one person, people who forgot their passwords, etc... the last version of railroad.net took two years to grow to the point where it was at when we were forced to rebuilt. We are certainly open to any suggestions you may have.

-otto-

#11923  by rvrrhs

Engineer wrote:LOL! Good eye Alan!!!
Well, I is a perfeshunol edidor.

#13718  by steemtrayn

why don't we just have elections?

#33924  by MEC407

I dunno... "patron" and "supporter" makes it sound like they donated money...
 #37324  by CNJ

David Telesha wrote:I do and don't like the idea of ranks at the same time. It can lead to trouble and as has been said - its substance not mass that counts.

I DO like them because you know who has been here a while.

But I like this idea:

0-50 MEMBER

50-200 CONTRIBUTOR

200-500 DISTINGUISHED CONTRIBUTOR

500-1000 SUPPORTER

1000+ PATRON

That sounds way too PBS-ish........................

I get enough of that stuff on the public television pledge drives.

#37438  by NJ Vike

MEC407 wrote:I dunno... "patron" and "supporter" makes it sound like they donated money...
Donated can also mean:time, assistance, and caring enough to share.

I vote yes.

Ken
Last edited by NJ Vike on Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#37440  by NJ Vike

Engineer wrote:I do agree the primary objective of this site is to exchange information, but I see it more as an "online community" than some plethora of pages with train sightings or technical questions....
BTW, I have yet to find a spell checker that will handle terms such as NJT or SD80MAC without suggesting some other correctly spelled word as the alternative. Using spellcheck on my computer, it politely informs me that I must of meant the word nut instead of NJT. I don't think there is really a feasible spell checker to handle a railroad vocabulary at this time.
I sleepd in Inglish klass end I think i ken spell wurdz grate......
I agree but spell checkers can be taught.

Gust mie too centz.

Ken

#40940  by AmtrakFan

I've got Idea's I'll share them
0-25 Coach Cleaner
26 to 49 Track Guy
50 to 99 Switchman
100 to 149 Breakman
150 to 299 Conductor
300 to 499 Enginner
500 + Excutive
Just my 2 cents worth if you don't like them please PM Me.

AmtrakFan

#40952  by Otto Vondrak

First- we dont want to use real railroad job titles since we have actual railroaders here would might object to being labeled something they aint (read the rest of the thread before posing, thanks).

Second, I think this issue is dead for now... so let's close this discussion for the time being.

-otto-