Railroad Forums 

• How can IC units replace DMIR units?

• Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA
Discussion relating to the Canadian National, past and present. Also includes discussion of Illinois Central and Grand Trunk Western and other subsidiary roads (including Bessemer & Lake Erie and the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range Railway). Official site: WWW.CN.CA

Moderators: Komachi, Ken V

#496624  by uhaul

With reports of former IC units coming north I realized something that is really not good. A lot of IC units don't have no dynamic brakes and aren't dynamic brakes needed when hauling heavy ore?
Were the DMIR units just not properly maintained under CN and is that why they are being retired?

#496662  by Komachi

Managerial ineptitude?

Rectal-Carainail Inversion Syndrome? :P

But seriously...

I can only speculate as I'm not employed by CN/IC (although, I'm open to offers) and will leave it to those who are more informed to give you an accurate response.

#496698  by throttlebender

Management realized alot of the IC SD40-2s that were to be transferred to DMIR in Dec. didnt have dynamics, straight air or the larger air compressors needed so the program was canceled. I don't understand why management wants the DMIR fleet phased out so bad. Those SD38-2s are great pullers.
There getting old but the IC SD40s (6000s) are 40-42 years old unrebuilt!
True junk. They should of kept the GCFX/WC SD40-3's and equiped them with straight air, those were good units! The IC SD40s and GP40s should of been sold or scrapped!

#497422  by trainmaster_1

CN's motto, if it ain't CN or IC, scrap it !

#497550  by Tadman

Is this program slated for EJ&E too? If I recall, they have a large contingent of SD38 [-2?] for pulling drags around Chicagoland.

#498501  by lock4244

If it ain't IC, retire it. IC is retiring CN SD40-2W's and SD40-2's as they fail, but IC SD40's soldier on. IC assigned a CN GP40-2L to local service on the fmr BC Rail lines... one of the toughest mountain lines on the continent. CN's GP40-2L lack DB, but IC thought it was a great idea until two crew members were killed in a runaway that wouldn't have occurred with a DB equipped unit.

If it saves a penny, CN is all for it. If it is operationally wise, who cares? Bye-bye DMIR fleet, hello IC junk...

BTW, am I the only one that thinks the IC fleet gets preferential treatment over all other component road of IC... err, CN?

#499001  by emd_SD_60

If CN was to send anything IC to DMIR, they should have sent the SD70's.

#499081  by CN_Hogger

Well, it seems that they don't fix anything be it IC, CN, GTW, WC, etc...

I'm always pleased to show up to work and see that I have foreign power!

#499127  by jg greenwood

CN_Hogger wrote:Well, it seems that they don't fix anything be it IC, CN, GTW, WC, etc...

I'm always pleased to show up to work and see that I have foreign power!
Exactly, CN_Hogger!!!!!! Seems the IC mechanical dept. does only enough to get by. Winter 2000, a foot of snow on the ground, we're MU'ing power right outside the door @ Woodcrest. I'm sure the mech. boys were pre-occupied with their coffee and warm stove. Another example of them taking care of their jobs, NOT!! :wink:

#499839  by CN_Hogger

jg greenwood wrote:
Exactly, CN_Hogger!!!!!! Seems the IC mechanical dept. does only enough to get by. Winter 2000, a foot of snow on the ground, we're MU'ing power right outside the door @ Woodcrest. I'm sure the mech. boys were pre-occupied with their coffee and warm stove. Another example of them taking care of their jobs, NOT!! :wink:
Don't get me started on Woodcrest!!

#502297  by bufftbone

CN_Hogger wrote:
jg greenwood wrote:
Don't get me started on Woodcrest!!
Woodcrest. HA! What a joke.

#502584  by Komachi

** Kommachi motions his hand, sending a red, silk curtain dropping. A team of secret ninjas swoop in and place a trap set on a small platform. A ninja in a tuxedo drops from the ceiling to a stool behind the drum kit. He then performs a rimshot. **