• Housatonic Railroad Thread (Maybrook, Berkshire, Pittsfield)

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

• 725 posts
  by Jeff Smith

Greg Moore wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:57 am Best of luck and hope you can make it!
I second that! I'm moving back to Stamford this year, so we can get together.

I understand your hesitation at commercial air travel. I've been doing it about once a month mid-pandemic, and it makes me nervous every time. But that is a long way to drive. You can always do the Late Shore Boston section!
  by J.D. Lang

Greg Moore wrote: ↑
Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:57 am
Best of luck and hope you can make it!
Same here hope you make the trip. If you have a rental car traveling the Housatonic river valley through the Cornwall's up to Canaan is very scenic. Like Jeff said take the LSL in a sleeper. :-) Maybe we could all meet at the Great Falls Brewery that's located in the restored Canaan RR station.
  by Greg Moore

What dates are we looking? It's been nearly 5 years since I was last there (my dad's memorial at the Falls in Falls Village). I may be up for a trip home. Maybe.
  by Gilbert B Norman

It's usually 2nd Weekend of June; even if the Lums are welcome anytime (checkbook in hand, of course :P ) Classes come up every five years once you've been out for ten. I'm '61, so this would be my 60th.

I have held if there were to be a family emergency in Greenwich, I'd "do a nonstop" (well, two gasups en-route) and hope that the Greenwich Hyatt (Post Road and Laddin's Rock in Old G) knows how to sanitize rooms. Just like you, Mr. Smith, I'd be afraid to fly (even if it soulds like for whatever reason, you have no choice) - maybe I'll feel different after VAX-2 today (friends my age have reported no side effects from VAX-2; I only know of one case where a girl later 40's, and "connected" within the medical community, got VAX-2 and had "rather bad" side effects. Maybe that was her comeuppance for "cutting line", but I keep that to myself as she is a good friend), but keep me off airplanes (this girl need be on 'em all the time, COVID notwithstanding) . At least I'm in command of what goes on in my auto.

But honestly, with now less than three hours to go until its time to "roll it up", I'm starting to see "light at end of the tunnel" (Grand Central is the only one I can think of on the New Haven).
  by Gilbert B Norman

Off, but close to, the rails, SKS has now set Alumni Weekend for Sep 24-26. That's of course COVID conditions permitting.

It will be my "60th", but I know one experience I'll gladly pass will be staying in the barracks (whoops, dorm).

Now we know #144 will be making a special stop at Woodrow!!!

Of course, back on planet earth, it will be interesting to see what's left of that sorry excuse for a railroad. I guess that they laid the CWR along Hatch Pond must be considered an "improvement".