Railroad Forums 

• Hours of service question

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#614424  by Justiceak

As a signalman I worked 15 hours non-covered service, do I still need 10 hours of rest before the next shift or will only eight be sufficient? I have studied the regulations and I can't find a definite answer. Thanks for the help.
 #614455  by amtrakhogger

I don't know how Hours of Service applies to C&S, but for T&E you get 10 hours of rest from 12 hours of continuous service. You suggested you performed 15 hours of non-covered service, which suggests you may have had a respite (a break). If so, then you only get 8 hours rest. As a rule of thumb, 12 hours=10 hours rest while 11:59 hours or less is only 8 hours rest (regardless of the total spread.)
 #614523  by MNRR_RTC

Justiceak wrote:As a signalman I worked 15 hours non-covered service, do I still need 10 hours of rest before the next shift or will only eight be sufficient? I have studied the regulations and I can't find a definite answer. Thanks for the help.
Signal Maintainers are under the hours of service. They can work up to 12 hours. After that, they outlaw.