Railroad Forums 

• Houlton Branch

• Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).
Discussion of present-day CM&Q operations, as well as discussion of predecessors Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway (MMA) and Bangor & Aroostook Railroad (BAR).

Moderator: MEC407

#1053649  by riffian

Looking for info on operations and remaining customers on the Houlton branch. How often served and from where?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Bill Root
New Castle, Delaware
 #1053784  by S1f3432

Largest customer on Houlton Branch is Louisiana Pacific at New Limerick, operating an OSB/
engineered wood plant. Dead River Co. operates a bulk LP gas plant in Houlton yard and there
is apparently something for business north of town in the industrial park as the track was kept
clear all winter.
 #1054000  by riffian

Thanks much. Do you know what days the local works and where it is based?? Thanks again.
 #1054642  by S1f3432

Last fall I would see a crew working the Presque Isle cluster on Friday afternoons on my return
to southern Maine after working up north all week. In the same time frame I would see a crew
working around Squa Pan mid-morning on Mondays and late afternoons on Friday. Someone
elsewhere in these forums suggested that it was M-W-F for Presque Isle and Tues-Thurs for
Houlton but my work schedule has changed and am now travelling late Sunday and Thursday.
I haven't seen anything moving on Maine Northern for weeks- don't even see power tied up at
Squa Pan as in the past, but strings of cars are being moved contantly so obviously my timing is
off. MMA was visiting Van Buren mid-morning several times a week but since the CP strike I
haven't seen them either. Did notice tie/surfacing crew tied up in the siding at Sherman last
week so maintenance work may be interfering with train movements.