Railroad Forums 

• Horseshoe Curve/cell phones

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#237649  by Idiot Railfan

Helloooooooo Altoona!

The family and I are planning a trip to Altoona and the Horseshoe Curve etc. in a few weeks. Can anybody tell me if cell phones (Verizon, in my case) work at the park at the Curve? Although my wife is tolerant of things railfan, she would probably prefer to drop us off there and drive back into town to do some shopping.

Also, I understand now you have to pay regardless of whether you use the tram to get up to the top?

We are last out there about 12 years ago. Anything else I should know?

Thanks!

#237660  by metman499

IR, I did not have to pay the last time I was there in 2005 in May. We just walked up the stairs.

#237817  by Idiot Railfan

Thanks guys

What else should a Jersey guy know about Altoona/Railroaders Museum/Horseshoe Curve these days?
 #237830  by dwil89

Your cellphone should work....Mine works fine on much of the East and West Slope areas....Horseshoe Curve is open year round, but the visitor center is closed during the Winter months..the stairs are still accessable during those months...I believe that during the hours that the Funicular is in operation, you have to pay admission. You can go in early in the morning or later in the evenings now without having to pay....I recommend spending some time on the West Slope after visiting the Curve and the Gallitzin Tunnels...Stop by Cresson, and then follow Rte 53 South for about 15 miles to South Fork. Along the way, there are many small towns, such as Lilly, Cassandra, Portage, Summerhill where there are places that one can sit and relax and watch trains.

#238528  by harmon44

I was just at the curve this week. Cell phone worked fine. You can get there early and walk up w/o paying. They also have a year long family pass, 4 passes for $15.00 good for the year. The funcular runs on the half hour. Bring sun screen, very little shade. Lots of shopping etc in Altoona for the wife. Have fun!

#238779  by trainfreak

Last time i was there with my nextel service was a bit iffy if i remember correctly...but still a great place to go...cant wait to go back this summer.

#239921  by RRDude68

My Uncle just came back from a trip to the Curve over Easter Weekend. He has Verizon and I spoke to him several times, clear as a bell.

#241166  by Sam Damon

By contrast on the Amtrak Pennsylvanian, a Alltel cellphone did not work well, once one got outside of Greensburg. Coverage was spotty, until I reached Harrisburg. Alltel roams on Verizon's network.

OTOH, my wife's Cingular phone had coverage all along the way, from Greensburg to Harrisburg.

#241531  by RichM

I think the Nextel / Sprint service should be OK by now. Altoona is one of those places where Sprint actually had better service than Nextel.
I'm Cingular by company decree and as reported, had no problems there at all.

#242509  by Idiot Railfan

Does this mean the Horseshoe Curve route?

--------------

Norfolk Southern Service Alert
>
>Derailment at Radebaugh, PA
>
>May 3, 2006
>
>Due to a derailment that occurred at 12:01 A.M. May 3, 2006, at
>Radebaugh, Pa., traffic moving over the route between Pittsburgh, Pa.,
>and Harrisburg, Pa., may experience delays of up to 24 hours. Norfolk
>Southern personnel are in the process of clearing the derailment and
>restoring the route to service.
>
>------------------
>Norfolk Southern Corporation
>www.nscorp.com
>

#262098  by Idiot Railfan

We finally visited The Curve!

Even my wife enjoyed it (except for the two or three overbearing railfans who thought she wanted to be regaled by their knowledge of trains while she was trying to read a non-railroad book).

We saw nine trains in 45 minutes at one point!

One thing that has changed since my last visit 12 years ago is that you can go up to the part after the visitor center has closed. I don't know if that's official or not, but after it's closed a gate is then opened that allows access to the stairs. That was cool. No lights at all up there, so bring a flashlight.

We has a great time, even my wife enjoyed it!

#268155  by ToledoTerminalRy

Just got back from the Curve for the first time!!! Very cool....
There are 2 medium sized trees to hide under for some shade. With Nextel you will have to find a good spot then it works fair. We sat up there and saw 7 trains in about an hour or so. Comming back from Strasburg and Hershey westopped by here via RT 22. Much more than what I was expecting. I LOVE how they broadcast the scanner over the intercom system. Now ive heard from some people that the overgrowth was horrible about 2 yrs ago. Now its under control I just wish they would cut back some more trees on the outer sides of the horseshoe and/or build a nice observing tower or a crosswalk OVER the tracks so one could legally get a good picture of the trains leaning INTO the curve. I can stand paying admission for the upkeep of this property it is very nice. I am already planning a return trip just for the Altoona area ie: Gallitzin tunnel, Altoona yard and such.

Ryan

#269244  by dwil89

ToledoTerminalRy wrote:Just got back from the Curve for the first time!!! Very cool....
There are 2 medium sized trees to hide under for some shade. With Nextel you will have to find a good spot then it works fair. We sat up there and saw 7 trains in about an hour or so. Comming back from Strasburg and Hershey westopped by here via RT 22. Much more than what I was expecting. I LOVE how they broadcast the scanner over the intercom system. Now ive heard from some people that the overgrowth was horrible about 2 yrs ago. Now its under control I just wish they would cut back some more trees on the outer sides of the horseshoe and/or build a nice observing tower or a crosswalk OVER the tracks so one could legally get a good picture of the trains leaning INTO the curve. I can stand paying admission for the upkeep of this property it is very nice. I am already planning a return trip just for the Altoona area ie: Gallitzin tunnel, Altoona yard and such.

Ryan
Allow some time on your next visit if you can for the West Slope....Cresson, Lilly, Cassandra, Summerhill, South Fork, Conemaugh are towns that the railroad passes through on the West side of the summit and have many nice spots to relax and watch trains...The Station Inn railfan themed B@B in Cresson, and the Tunnel Inn Railfan B@B in Gallitzin offer trackside lodging for railfans too.
 #271917  by OCtrainguy

I was in the area during the first week of July. I spent time at Altoona, the curve, Galliztin, Cresson and a few hours in Johnstown.

With respect to South Fork and Conemaugh, can somone provide the good photo spots there? I drove through South Fork enroute from the Johnstown Flood Memorial to Johnstown itself. Not being familiar with the area, I didn't stop. I appreciate the info, and would use it for my next trip out there as I bought the grounds pass for Horseshoe Curve.