Railroad Forums 

• Horns on NH C-425's?????

• Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
Discussion relating to the NH and its subsidiaries (NYW&B, Union Freight Railroad, Connecticut Company, steamship lines, etc.). up until its 1969 inclusion into the Penn Central merger. This forum is also for the discussion of efforts to preserve former New Haven equipment, artifacts and its history. You may also wish to visit www.nhrhta.org for more information.
 #686378  by Amtrak700

Can anyone tell me the horns used on the NH C-425's?? I know they have 3 chimes facing foward, but was it a leslie or a nathan?????
 #686454  by Noel Weaver

Amtrak700 wrote:Can anyone tell me the horns used on the NH C-425's?? I know they have 3 chimes facing foward, but was it a leslie or a nathan?????
To be very honest, I really don't know one horn from another BUT they sounded exactly like the horns in Canada which I
think were required by the government on all diesel locomotives for many years. If you ever ran CN or CP engines they
sounded identical.
I think the original horns lasted well into the Penn Central period when some of them were changed out for some reason.
When the Central Vermont got the new GP-9's in 1957 to replace the last of the steam they also had the same horns on
them and maybe the NHRR decided to go with the same horns when these engines came on the line.
Noel Weaver
 #686825  by Noel Weaver

Amtrak700 wrote:Thanks Noel, what about the U-25B's/?????
Same thing, the NHRR had a big interchange with the Central Vermont at New London all during the period and they were on
very good terms. I suspect they consulted with CV management regarding horns because the type of horns on a new
locomotive was the decision of the railroad buying the locomotive.
Noel Weaver